How many here are actual backyarders vs. Farmers?

Backyarder . . . when we actually have something that qualifies as a 'back yard". Usually it's just a site in an RV park.

I'm a backyarder here in Galveston Tx. In the city limits 4 blocks from the beach full of tourist.

Backyarder on one acre in rual Dunnigan Ca. Dogs, lots of chickens, garden, daughter and wife. Maybe a small goat soon. Love our chickens.
Rob

Back yarder - very small suburban block.
Actually, the hens are in the front yard as it is larger than the back yard!!
big_smile.png

Backyarder....on 50 acres. Land is all treed with paths throughout. Only permanent farm animals currently are 3 ducks and 2 chickens. Over 100 ducklings pass thru our doors each year but are wild and eventually released.

We are backyarders in England. We have a small veg garden, fruit trees/bushes/vines and hopefully soon a few chickens. If I don't kill the eggs!! I would love to have a couple of acres to mess around with and build my dream house on but don't think I ever want to be a farmer, been there and done that.

Being a farmer is hard backbreaking work. My parents have a small family farm in Georgia of around 18 acres and use to raise hogs, a few cattle, chickens, a family of ducks, couple acre veg garden, fishing pond (use to be a trout pond til someone dragged the pond with a net and scarpered with almost all of the trout when my parents were away) and lots and lots of fruit. They still have the fishing pond (just not with trout), a smaller veg patch and tons of fruit. When I visited this spring and was helping to hoe my mom's never ending rows of blackberries, I was reminded just how much I dislike hoeing .... and haying ( well, it doesn't help that I'm allergic to some types of grass and plants
roll.png
) ..... and getting up really early to beat the heat ..... and did I mention I am quite good at complaining?
lau.gif
Also, My dad grew up on a dairy farm in Wisconsin of a couple hundred acres. So, I'm a backyarder that doesn't want to be a farmer.

Back
Top Bottom