How many here are actual backyarders vs. Farmers?

I am not sure what category I fit in. we live in farm country but we arent farmers and the only thing we have is 7 chickens and 3 tomato plants.

So backyarder in farm country.
hu.gif

We own 5 acres where we built about 7 years ago and rent 17 more(much cheaper than owning it). Retired after 30 years of factory work to our piece of heaven. I have some hobby sheep and lambs and my Cochins. Need to make hay but it won't quit raining. Calling me a farmer would be an insult to the real farmers I know. Call it HOBBY farmer.

live on 5 acreas but use about 1+ for poultry and garden., out of city limits and sell eggs and produce. consder us as small farmers.

Backyarder on 3 acres - first time chick mama! 5 six week old Golden Buff; 3 each, week old RIR, Welsummer, Silver Laced Wyandotte, and Golden Laced Wyandotte. Will obviously be selling eggs, so will that then be considered "farmer"? Don't think so - I imagine a larger inventory for "farmer".

tongue.png
Farmer!! Even though we both work at other full time jobs, we are sure we are farmers! We own 46 acres and rent 2 other farms, total acreage altogether being somewhere near 650 acres. My husband owns & raises black Angus cattle; he uses the other farms for pasture to raise the calves up to sell in the fall each year. He will often buy out a farmer selling out of his stock and the other farms that we lease provide plenty of room for the cattle as they come and go. Right now I believe we have about 200 mama cows with new babies and a couple of registered bulls. We also have several horses, a few donkeys, two of which are spotted miniature donkeys. We have a couple of emus and some buffalo, too! I have 2 pair of peafowl and numerous yellow golden pheasants; about 10 Silkies and about 10-15 little baby silkie chicks. I also have 5 grown guineas, 3 of the hens are setting on a big pile of guinea eggs, hope they hatch! I have 17 golden Campines and about 15-20 baby golden Campine chicks! Last, but certainly not least, we have our "baby"-my little schnoodle dog who is 4 years old and her name is "Baby". Yes, definitely a farm!!!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom