How many here are actual backyarders vs. Farmers?

Former Farmer, now backyarder. Miss it 85% of the time, but 65 acres full time job and a 45 min. drive to work does not work for one person. DH passed away 11 years ago.
So backyarding is a lot easier!

Urban Homesteader as it was just described in the San Francisco/Oakland Chronicle! Were there are quite a few of them as it said! We have been doing this for 8 years started with a garden + bees + chickens then added the front yard because we ran out of room in the back garden, Next year the lawn goes and more raised beds!!!! I have just put out a sign in the front FRESH BROWN EGGS FOR SALE!! LOL
wee.gif

We are backyarders but farmer wannabes lol!!! We have 5 acres and critters, 2 gardens, and sell eggs when we hv them and our surplus produce at farmers market on Saturdays. All proceeds going to the kids as long as they continue to woprk the gardens lol. Would love to have a tractor and the knowledge to do more farming....right now we do what we can all by hand.

Hmm... didn't read through all of the posts, but only saw responses that said "backyarder"... and few "homesteaders"... lol

DH and I are by no means chicken farmers (flock of 25), but we do live on a farm... so in this case I guess I would say "real farmers, but chicken hobbyists". DH's grandfather did however have several thousand chickens on the farm at one point for his egg business!

Edited: I guess the term "farmer" is pretty relative. I guess I view a farmer as a person whose land is marked as Agriculture, and they do the work to keep it marked that way. If the land turns a profit legally as agriculture, I suppose that makes it a farm? There are a lot of people on like 10 acres who have others cut hay for them so that their land is classified as Agriculture for tax purposes. I don't really see that as farming, but some might.

Last edited:
Im not sure, I guess backyard. I have 2 acres on the old farmstead. Plant corn in the back acre. But I guess, as much as Id like to be....Im not a farmer
sad.png

Don't know if someone's tallying the responses, but I'm registering as a city-limits, 2 coop (each at a different address), hen-only operation.

I am inside city limits with neighbors on 3 sides and a road between me and the 4th side. I have a medium sized backyard. I have a nice coop with two attached runs that are separate from each other. One that is fully enclosed when we aren't home and one that is open on top for when we are home all day. That way they rotate runs and leave my flower beds alone.

wife, mother, daughter, grandmother and sister. Caretaker to 14 hens (RIR, Buffs, Silver-laced, Dominiques, Black Australorps,) 15 Holland Lops, 1 Golden Retriever, 1 black lab, African cichlids, pond goldfish, and lots of plants.

Backyarder. Working on being Hobbyfarm (what I mean by working is, Mom please please please... Wouldent a couple cows make the land 10 times better???!!?!") lol

We have 5 ancers were I live, Bu 45 mins west we own 45 ancers, too bad they are not connected!
rant.gif
Then we have 11 ancers we own next to use to, But my aunt and uncle are currently on it! and they have a chicken coop up there also.

Back
Top Bottom