How many hogs would you need to butcher?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ronshoney, May 22, 2008.

1. ronshoney

ronshoney Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    How many hogs of what size would you need to raise and bucher to feed a family of 7-9 for a year? And how would you have it butchered? We really don't eat pork roast or pork loin but we eat everything else. Thanks!

2. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    I am not sure we just bought a half of a pig for a family of 5. I wrote down the date so I can see how long it last us.

3. menkot

menkot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    I would say at least 2 at about 250 lbs. but it really depends on the eating habits of your family. I would also not butcher them both at the same time. I would stagger them... as in get one and butcher then get another to grow in its place while you eat the first. Pork is not known for keeping as long as beef even when vacuum sealed.

We cut ours up ourselves and slice the meat up like we would a deer pretty much. That way we have just chunks of meat that can be cooked anyway. The loin we slice thin in steaks and fry. The roast we muscle out and slice also Any scraps become sausage.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  4. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I would say probably three. We did two last year and we are a family of four. I don't eat meat however. It would really depend on how often you were planning on eating the pork. If it was going to be a once a week thing (prob not, but you know what I am saying) then I would go with two. One of ours dressed out at 160 and one at 180 just an fyi. We are out of bacon all ready and out of breakfast sausage. Stuff like that we are going to get more of this coming fall now that we know what will be eaten more. We had them butchered at the end of November and we really have dwindled a lot of the meat down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by