how many inches does coop need to be elevated

pappy1264

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Building coop and trying to figure how elevated it should be so they can also have access underneath it. I have 2 barred rocks, 1 rhode island red, 1 salmon faverolle, 2 Partridge Wyandottes, 1 Easter Egger, 1 Blue Cochin, 1 old english bantam and 1 blue cochin bantam. And also, what size should the chicken door be to go from coop into the run? Thank you.

I'd say to get it up there at least a foot and a half. You could go higher if you want, but I would not go any lower. You want it high enough, not only for the chickens, but for yourself. You REALLY want to be able to see what's going on under there. You put a coop down on the ground, and IMO, you are just asking rodents to set up house under there. All the food they want, plus a nice hidden place to live.
My pop door is 12X14", in the morning, I've seen two at a time come through it. So I guess that's a good size.
Jack

Thank you! Was out there yesterday making up the plans and was wasn't sure how high up it needed to be. Going to hit it hard this weekend, try to get as much done as we can. I will take pics and post as we go. So excited! My girls are growing so fast, I need it done asap!!!

I set mine 24 inches from the ground, so that I don't have to stoop to reach into the coop. This also allows the space under the coop to count as run space.

My pop door is similar in size. They come through it without any problems, but the rooster has to duck.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom