1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many is too many roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Momhen, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Momhen

Momhen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    I have a flock of 13 - 3 are roosters (2 of them are 6 month old siblings - the other is their "dad"). Is it possible to have too many roos in with the hens? I've already had to remove 2 of the older hens as they seemed to be getting too much attention from the roosters and were loosing a bit of weight. Fortunately, with a little TLC they have regained their weight and health and are not integrated back with the rest of the flock. I don't want any of my "girls" to have to go through this again and would be willing to cull one of the roos if necessary. I want to breed one of the young roos next spring, and don't want to get rid of my original rooster so would only get rid of one if I need to. Other than the 2 hens getting too much attention, everyone seems to get on really well together.

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    roosters will have there favouraites them 2 must have been the favouraite of all three of them

3. Momhen

Momhen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Since I've put them back in with the flock, I've noticed that when I let them out to free range, those 2 stay back in the run. They must realise that free ranging for the others means peace for them!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have heard that the rule should be 10 hens per roo, I have 12 hens and 2 roos so i guess I'm bending the rules a smidge, right now all is well we'll just have to see how it goes when breeding season kicks off next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by