1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many is too many?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tyhebs311, May 17, 2016.

1. Tyhebs311

Tyhebs311 New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Connecticut
    I have currently a 4x4 coop. 3 nesting boxes on the outside so I utilize full floor space. My chickys are about 2 weeks old so they are still inside. I currently have 6 3 RR and 3 plymoth rock. is 6 too many for a 4x4??? I have a 10x10 run and will be free ranging when pos. (when my shepherd doesn't want to rip the "squeek toy" apart)
    Thank you!!

2. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    As long as you have a spacious run, you can get away with a smaller coop. However, you cannot cheat on roosting space. This is where conflicts occur in a coop that's too small. They say you need a foot of perch space per chicken, but I've found they need more to accommodate flapping wings as they fly up to the perch. If the perch is too short, they will knock each other off as they try to get up. Nothing angers a chicken more than being knocked off the perch when she's trying to settle down for a good night's sleep.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Agreed, 1 1/2-2 feet of roost per bird is about right. So if you have two roosts across the coop "8 feet" that should do for 6 adults.

4. Tyhebs311

Tyhebs311 New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Connecticut
    Awesome,
    yea i have a total of 12 ft. roosting space. 3 of the 4 sides
    Thank you!!!!

5. vr1967

vr1967 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    Liberty, MS
    Mine must be the exception to the norm, I have 19 chickens, 20' or roost poles, and they sleep on 5-6 feet of pole, on top of each other, and always have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by