How many is TOO many?

One rooster to 37 is way better than 2-3 roosters to 10 hens, which a lot of newbies want to do. That is where I thought this post was going.

I would consider raising up another rooster if I had that many hens but mostly for flock management and predator awareness. I like a rooster, as it drastically reduces my free ranging losses. 37 hens is a lot of hens for a rooster to keep rounded up.

However, if this is not a problem, I would not worry. He is giving you fertilized eggs, and is happy. I would expect the fertilization to fall slightly with the fall, but just keep track like you have been when you cook, if you want to hatch out.

Mrs K

I only have 13 hens at the moment but I kept an extra boy this year to help out.
The older rooster has a time keeping up with his 8 as is, not romantically but keeping his eye on them.
This spring 5 more girls happened and they're all tiny and MUCH faster than he's accustomed to dealing with so I kept a tiny rooster.
Honestly the big older guy seems thrilled to have somebody to cock block for lack of a more perfect term. :)

Back
Top Bottom