How many is too many?

midget_farms

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Dunlap Illinois
wink.png
I built a nice new coop that is 4x6 plus 2 nesting boxes. I have a small predator problem (in that I've seen foxes & coyotes in the yard, but have not lost any birds) so I built a very sturdy 5ft high fence reinforced along the bottom around the 25' x 25' run.

So I started with 2 barred rocks 1 frizzle hen & 1 free RIR mix rooster. We all love them. However some of you may know I've been desperately trying to find started Buff Orpingtons. Well I finally found a guy who will ship me 12 straight run started birds.

I think my coop can hold about 10 adults w/o them killing each other. What do you guys think?

My plan is to keep the hens & at least 1 Buff O roo, maybe two.

Any thoughts?

Seeing that you live in Illinois (I grew up in WI) and I'm very familiar with the potential winters there. I think you are pushing it in your coop with more than six chickens.

Because it's highly likely that they will be coop bound at times, due to the weather, I'd be concerned of them feather picking and having issues in that small of a space.

I believe it's always better to be safe than sorry and go with less.

General convention says 4 sq ft per bird. Some will say 3. Some will even go so far as to say 2 with a huge outside area. BUT.... there is Definitely only one roo per 8-10 birds.

Only 1 roo? Idealy I would like to have a Buff Orpington roo with my hens so we can get pure chicks, but my wife is sold on our RIR mix roo now & wants to keep him.

Do you think I 'd be pushing it to keep 1 Orp & the one I have?

6 birds total? I was hoping for 10.

Looks like I need to start looking for a used shed someone wants to give away.

Last edited:
when you have two roos with too few girls, they will fight. Even if you squeezed in a few extra girls, there won't be enough for two roos unless you get that second shed. Welcome to the world of chicken addiction
lau.gif

Two roos will be fine. My bantam jap just recently passed away, but at one point I had about 10 birds (8 hens and two roos) in a 4X6 coop. They were usually always outside, and had plenty of free range time, but would probably be fine without free range time as well. In the winter, they had enough room to move about and spent most of their time on the perches.

Anyways, you should be absolutely fine. I would suggest getting a young rooster though, because the older one will not see a young guy as such a threat and they will be less likely to fight. I never had a problem with fighting though.

I'd say definately only one roo for those 6 or 10 birds....especially if the RIR is established to your current flock........the 2nd roo don't have a prayer as far a having any hens for his own. We had a 2nd roo for a current established flock. The roos got along just fine except when the new one tried to grab a piece of one of the girls...he chased him down everytime and let him have it.

Unless they are free ranged, he might be able to sneak some in....with enough room.
It would work out best to have the new roo with the newest flock members...that way he could claim girls of his own.
but if your talkin 10 total birds.....I'd stick to one roo.

You were saying space is limited as well....sleeping close nit for winter warmth might not be so bad, but summer nights on top of one another will be really tough on them.

an additional shed is probably your best bet!!!
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You might as well stat adding on to the coop. Once you start getting chickens you won't be able to sstop. Maybe I'll quit after I have at least 2 of each breed. I doubt it.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

Ohh gosh..... This must be a sign of stage two or three or four!!!
barnie.gif
.... It is where I'm at now....
lau.gif
lau.gif

I better run back to counciling!!!!
he.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom