How many meal worms should I give a chicken?

lindasking2175

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 26, 2012
I started raising meal worms just as a treat for my chickens. The problem is, they will eat all I can give them. I do limit them. I was just wondering how many can they have without hurting their diet.

Any info on this would be helpful.

I'm really getting a lot of worms.

Thanks

A boy in Australia did a 120-day study and determined the more protein the larger the eggs. I have wondered about this myself because it seems that no matter how much table scraps I give them to eat they just keep eating. Can a chicken over eat?

I started raising meal worms just as a treat for my chickens. The problem is, they will eat all I can give them. I do limit them. I was just wondering how many can they have without hurting their diet.

Thanks
I was wondering this myself as I am about to start my mealworm farm. I hope someone has a good answer for us.

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks
I found this on the meal worm thread.
Originally Posted by jchny2000

The crickets won but soo not doing those, mealies sure beat the waxworm... here's the info i found!
Grubco offered this info
http://www.grubco.com/nutritional_information.cfm

Nutritional Information

To keep you better informed, our products have been analyzed by an independent lab. We are the only live food producer to publish a nutritional analysis. We have done so for years and intend to continue our commitment to quality and consistency.
NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS
Crickets​
Meal Worms​
Wax Worms​
Super Worms​
Fly Larvae​
Moisture, %
69.07​
62.44​
61.73​
59.37​
68.18​
Fat, %
6.01​
12.72​
22.19​
17.89​
7.81​
Protein, %
21.32​
20.27​
15.50​
17.41​
15.58​
Fiber, %
3.2​
1.73​
7.69​
6.80​
3.46​
Ash
2.17​
1.57​
1.02​
1.20​
1.40​
Ca, ppm
345​
133​
283​
124​
874​
P, ppm
4238​
3345​
2161​
2320​
2405​
CA/P ratio %
0.081​
0.040​
0.131​
0.053​
0.363​
So if this info is fact then because of the fat content I would say 10% of their diet. This is not fact just opinion. So lets go with that and say each chicken eats between 6 and 8 ounces of feed per day that would be .6 to .8 ounces of meal worms a day. If you have 10 chickens that would be 6 to 8 ounces of meal worms a day. 8 ounces is a half of a pound. I guess now the question is how many meal worms in a half pond? All I know is a lot.

So if this info is fact then because of the fat content I would say 10% of their diet. This is not fact just opinion. So lets go with that and say each chicken eats between 6 and 8 ounces of feed per day that would be .6 to .8 ounces of meal worms a day. If you have 10 chickens that would be 6 to 8 ounces of meal worms a day. 8 ounces is a half of a pound. I guess now the question is how many meal worms in a half pond? All I know is a lot.
This is for live ones, right? Dry would weigh less.

This is for live ones, right? Dry would weigh less.
Live yes. What I find for dry is this.

:
Protein(min) 51%
Crude Fat(min) 23%
Fiber(max) 8%
Moisture(max) 7%
Weight: 11 lbs

From here
http://mealwormsbythepound.com/Bulk-Dried-Mealworms-11-lbs-Free-Shipping-POM11.htm

At this point you need to worry about protein and fat. Do you have live or dried?

For every 10 pound of feed at 16% protein if you add 10% dried meal worms 1 pound you would end up at 19.2% protein.

I'm still just worried about the fat. I do think adding that much fat is ok though would not want to go more.

How are you raising meal worms. I harvest earthworms from my composters for them and have an indoor worm composter but don't create a fraction of the worms that they can easily eat. So adding meal worms could be helpful in keeping them satisfied and grain bills down.

Back
Top Bottom