How many nest boxes do they *really* need?

If you have eggs in places other than the nest boxes, that does not mean that there is a shortage of laying boxes. My chickens have proven that 2 nest boxes are sufficient.

Yet I have found eggs in many places in the past. eg: Under the perches in a corner on the poop board. In the large flower pot they use as a sand bath, on an old side table that I once put in the run. In a bucket under the nest boxes just outside the run, etc.

And if a chicken gets broody, sometimes she searches a spot outside where it’s quiet , hidden or even crazy to start breeding (on the neighbours compost pile).

I have 3 boxes for max of 12 birds (currently at 10). There is a definite favorite but all boxes get used. My chickens have never stacked up on each other like I see photos of on here, so they'd rather shuffle down one space to use the next open box.
Your birds must be smarter than mine! Mine will pile on top of each other even though there are 3 other boxes. My top hen won't pile in on anyone. She prefers to run off anyone using HER box...

I have around 9 girls (2 Japanese hens, 1 Phoenix pullet (Maybe 2 were not sure if one is a she or a he-she), 2 spitzhauben, 1 Belgian d'Anvers and 3 mixes) and they use little dug outs under the coop for laying eggs. Works for me and for them, though I get not everyone wants to crawl around under a coop to gather an egg or two.

I have 5 *double* nest boxes. They are recycling bins so they are wide enough for two hens to comfortably lay at the same time. And they often do. This is what they look like.
08A1B84A-501D-46F5-9F1E-816B23FEB203.jpeg

I have 19 girls and they use all 5 boxes. Three boxes are “favorites” but they will use all of them.

I have 5 *double* nest boxes. They are recycling bins so they are wide enough for two hens to comfortably lay at the same time. And they often do. This is what they look like. View attachment 2570096
I have 19 girls and they use all 5 boxes. Three boxes are “favorites” but they will use all of them.
Those are nice!

Back
Top Bottom