1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how many nesting boxes for 8 hens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SeattleChickenHead, Sep 27, 2010.

1. SeattleChickenHead

SeattleChickenHead Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    I plan on having 8 hens tops (thats the law here) how many nesting boxes do I need? I plan on getting RIRs, Jerseys and other heavy dual purpose layers.

2. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    2-3 the rule is 1 for every 4-5 laying hens.

3. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    I would think 2would be enough. We have 6 with 20 hens and they only use 2-3 boxes.

4. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    In my experience, it doesn't really matter how many you give them - we gave ours 15 of them. They use 2 most of the time and alternate with a third.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Two nest boxes should be sufficient. They share. They will stand in a line outside an occupied nest box they like best, and bawk at the one inside to hurry up, while there is a perfectly good, empty one right next to it.

Silly birds.

The good thing about not having to put in lots of nest boxes is that you can use the coop space for other stuff, if they aren't "pop out" nest boxes. And they won't count against your total square foot of real estate inside the coop. (4 square feet per chicken.)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  6. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    You don't need many nest boxes...2-4 should be just fine. I have 6 for my 12 hens, and sometimes there's an egg or two in each, but most often there's 5 eggs in one, 3 in another, 4 in a third and no eggs in all the rest. And it doesn't matter which nest box, either, it rotates and I can't figure out the pattern if any. Phases of the moon or that box had a bug in it to eat, or the alpha hen liked box # 3 the best today. Go figger.

7. redturtle

redturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    stanardsville, va
    2 will work...but you could do 3

1 box for every 3-4 hens

8. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I have 4 for about 21 hens------but they really like to fuss at the barn cat until he gives up his bed (which is a small carrier with hay in it)!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by