How many nesting boxes per hen?

New to this and just building (or made my hubby build) he wants to just leave our nest box open with no dividers, will this work? 2 ft deep x 8 ft long x 2 ft high. It is on floor. Will put a lip on it to keep straw in. Or will this be a problem waiting to happen. The plan is to have 15-20 layers of different kinds.

Good point... more boxes, more eggs. How will I ever decide? I might as well have more than needed at this point since everyone has a different opinion. I don't want to have too few, that's for sure.
that's not exactly accurate, those hens would each lay an egg when they need to, regardless of number of boxes. They'll get their pattern down, and usually, as already mentioned, all lay in the same box or two. Sometimes one will be in a hurry and crowd in with another....
gig.gif
but to say 'more nests equal more eggs' just isn't correct.

New to this and just building (or made my hubby build) he wants to just leave our nest box open with no dividers, will this work? 2 ft deep x 8 ft long x 2 ft high. It is on floor. Will put a lip on it to keep straw in. Or will this be a problem waiting to happen. The plan is to have 15-20 layers of different kinds.

this will depend entirely on the hens. but, think of it this way. They kind of like to take care of business in a place they feel safe, cozy and snuggly. Lot's of people have success with an open box, but I'd bet a poll would show the majority put dividers in. some even hand curtains over the openings

After reading all this I had to reply. LOL! I have 28 hens from little white rocks to large Buffs. For all them i have only 4 nest boxes. I am adding on to the coup and will add maybe 3-4 more nests. But been using this setup for about 5-6 years now. I have found 1 egg on floor a couple of times. But only a couple. And the hens don't fight for the boxes. But some times two will crawl in one at the same time. My boxes ar 16 x 16 x16 and seem great. Also many days all eggs end up in 1-2 boxes while the other remain unused. Then the next day it will be a couple of the other ones. No rhyme or reason. If your continually getting eggs on floor or any place they shouldn't. Id say add more boxes. But honestly the 28 I got rarely use all 4 of theirs. LOL!

I hate listening to hens fight over nesting boxes. If you have 5 chickens and 10 nesting boxes, they will still fight! For my eight hens I have six boxes and it works well.

LOL I have 7 identical nest boxes and all 7 of my hens stand in front of it screaming at whoever is in it because they HAVE to use that particular box! Makes it nice for egg collection, but boy does it get loud! I guess by that math I can get a LOT more hens!
1f61b.png
1f61c.png
1f60b.png

We are getting to build ours soon. I read about using plastic storage totes so you can disinfect them well. I considered doing that too. Plus I could cut the doorway in the front a bit smaller to make it seem more private. What do you all think?

Back
Top Bottom