How many nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by julnjake, Aug 22, 2011.

1. julnjake

julnjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    SW PA
    Do I need for 19 birds?

2. shepan2

shepan2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    I have 6 nests for 25 hens and its worked fine, now one is being used by a broody and the five boxes seem to work for them...

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    1 nesting box per 4 - 5 girls.

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:4 or 5

5. Sweetened

Sweetened Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    I don't mean to abduct your thread, but why 1 nesting box for 4 - 5 birds?

I've read this in multiple books, but none really offer an explanation as to why... they just rather insinuate "because that's the way it is."

Anyone know?

6. chicken_chik

chicken_chik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:I have heard that they are not territorial about the boxes (unless maybe if they are broody) and they just seek out a dark, quiet place to lay. Suppose that is why people put a fake egg or golf ball in there, to mark it as a "safe place" to lay an egg.
    That is just my non-scientific 2 cents... probably wasn't what you were looking for though! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  7. Sweetened

Sweetened Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Quote:No no, it's perfect. Its more of an explanation than I've ever found! Sounds reasonable!

8. JPHorvath

JPHorvath Chillin' With My Peeps

We have over 30 hens with 16 nesting boxes four rows up and four across. I will tell you right now there are favorite nesting boxes not all are used. There will be hens waiting to use a box that is currently occupied while 15 empty boxes are empty. It is not uncommon I will see 2 hens in the same nesting box. Our nesting boxes are 11.5” x 11’5’ x 11.5” in size so they are not large once the pine shavings are placed in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by