How many nesting boxes

I have 6 nests for 25 hens and its worked fine, now one is being used by a broody and the five boxes seem to work for them...

I don't mean to abduct your thread, but why 1 nesting box for 4 - 5 birds?

I've read this in multiple books, but none really offer an explanation as to why... they just rather insinuate "because that's the way it is."

Anyone know?

Quote:
I have heard that they are not territorial about the boxes (unless maybe if they are broody) and they just seek out a dark, quiet place to lay. Suppose that is why people put a fake egg or golf ball in there, to mark it as a "safe place" to lay an egg.
That is just my non-scientific 2 cents... probably wasn't what you were looking for though!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
We have over 30 hens with 16 nesting boxes four rows up and four across. I will tell you right now there are favorite nesting boxes not all are used. There will be hens waiting to use a box that is currently occupied while 15 empty boxes are empty. It is not uncommon I will see 2 hens in the same nesting box. Our nesting boxes are 11.5” x 11’5’ x 11.5” in size so they are not large once the pine shavings are placed in them.

Back
Top Bottom