How many nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Brahmaman, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Brahmaman

Brahmaman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    Centennial Colorado
    I have 5 chickens and only 2 are old enough to lay. At the moment I only have 3 nesting boxes should I add more for when my younger chickens grow up?

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    You only need 1 box for every 3-4 hens. They like to share. 3 is fine for you and you could go down to 2 if you wanted. I have 6 hens and 2 boxes but they all lay in 1.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  3. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I have eight mature laying hens and three nesting boxes. They all lay their eggs in the same box...the one on the far left. Every once in awhile they all lay their eggs in the one on the far right but there are never eggs in multiple boxes on the same day. I believe that three boxes for five hens is plenty.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Don't be surprised that with only 5 hens they all lay in the same box. It is a flock pressure kind of thing. Part of the whole flock mentality that effects behaviors.

They don't even need 3 nests, let alone more. It's just the way they are. LOL

5. llandry

llandry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    I have five girls laying and they all use one box. I didn't realize this when i first built my coop. I got four chickens and built four boxes. Coop 2.0 as my computer programming husband calls our next coop will only have two boxes. What's funny is who ever lays first each day is the decider of that days box. Sometimes it's box #1 sometimes it's #2, etc... They always lay all 5 eggs in the same nest though. It's pretty cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by