How many night light bulb watts equals a lamp bulb?

rhodeislandred1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 27, 2012
I dont know if that makes sense or not. if it doesnt, please let me know so i can try to explain more :)
For my ducklings, i am going to use my desk lamp that has the twisty big light bulb ( http://www.google.com/search?q=how ...r%2Fstudent_activity_directions.html;795;1500 ). I have been tod that 100 watts for that kind (the big ones) is too much and that a night light bulb size should be used for 100 watts.
does big 100w bulb = 100w small bulb?
Please help me provide proper lighting and warmth for my baby duck :)

"Twisty" light bulbs are fluorescent and put out almost no heat. You need to use incandescent bulbs -- the "old fashioned" ones that are rounded on the end, like most of the bulbs in your link.

Actually, for the most part, incandescent bulbs are going away. That means there are going to be very few left that provide HEAT at all. If you happen to find some for sale, you're doing good, because it's the government that is outlawing the incandescent bulbs. Right now most of the bulbs on the market with the standard tear-drop shape of the original light bulb, are still fluorescent bulbs but with a tear-drop-shaped "shell" on the outside to make them look like the old ones.

Because of this, one of the few bulbs you will still find that is actually an incandescent, is the old-fashioned red heat lamp bulb. The government can't force change on these because they are created with the INTENT of putting out heat. They look light flood lights (mirrored cone shape with an almost-flat clear or red "face"). And they can screw into MOST light sockets just fine, as long as nothing else is in the way, such as the bars used to hold a lamp shade.

Now if you have an alternate heat source (such as a small ceramic floor heater) then you can use whichever bulb you want for the "daytime" lighting.

Back
Top Bottom