How many of you are experiencing a drop in egg production?

Quote:
I smell what your steppin in...
lau.gif
Why I am laughing I have no idea. I have not gotten any eggs either and I was finally building my customer base.
rant.gif
Over 100 chickens and I get 1 egg a day. They are all molting or too young to lay yet
th.gif

No eggs at all! Only one of my pullets started laying 4 weeks ago, and the other two haven't started yet. They are all 23 weeks old. I guess we'll be wating until spring.
hit.gif

Of course the last egg I got was a rubber shell-less egg. This was the same day I happily made myself an egg production chart to keep track!!
barnie.gif

I'm in California and haven't seen an egg in months! Went through a bad spell where most of flock poisoned by bad dry cob they stole from sheep. Only kept three hens, one is older. I have one juvenile hen, but usually they start laying at about 3 months. Only one molted and she is fully feathered again. One hen got killed by a hawk. I had to go buy eggs too. I could survive on the two hens, but it is the baking season....driving me crazy. Don't know why they won't lay. I am going to switch to higher protein feed, maybe the calf manna. Hope it helps, otherwise I'll be eating chicken pie! (Not really, can't geat my girls!!!)

wow, sorry, that is kind of confusing. After losing most of my flock to poisoned feed, I had three mature hens and no roos. Got a free roo and one hen went broody. We hatched out two roos and one hen bringing total of hens to four. One hen killed by hawk (I think) and one hen juvenile. That leave two who should be laying but are not! Sorry to be so confusing...I gotta get back into posting more often.

Last edited:
Today is the first day that I have had no eggs since they started laying around the first of November. It's been bitterly cold (-4 degrees) and overcast so the light has shifted.

Mary

Over here! However, I know it's because there's less daylight and I don't give the birds artificial lighting.

Suzy
caf.gif

I'm down to 2 to day. I had been getting 6 or 7 a day. I think the cold caught up to the girls. I have been adding extra light, but down into the teens here in the Seattle area is still unusual.

Not us. We live here in central NC and it's been cold and rainy for us lately but my 19 Gold Comets are still laying 17 to 19 eggs each day. We've been having temps at night in the low 20s with highs in the low 40s. We've had a very wet fall too which isn't much fun for layers. But our Gals keep on going strong. I've been expecting them to drop off and they still may but they keep surprising me. They are all still pullets from about seven to eleven months old. The oldest six were hatched in January.

Back
Top Bottom