How many of you COOK for your chickens???

Gezzzzz, I wanna come live with you guys!!! Your chickens eat better than me, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a brand new chicken owner, I guess I have a lot to learn, I never even thought of cooking for them!!!! (My DH will be jealous)

Can I give them things like dry cereal that has gotten a little stale???

Last night I started some dry corn in the slow cooker. I have never cooked dry corn (unless you count popcorn for myself!) but I found it at the mexican grocery store and thought I'd give it a try. The kernels were as big as my thumb so its probably the kind used to make corn meal but its cooking up to be HUGE!
Hope the chickes like it
jumpy.gif

dlhunicorn, I didn't totally delete the sugar, but will the next batch. I used about 1/8th c of brn sugar to the 12 cups of oatmeal I used for the mix. I doubled the oatmeal so I could just fit it all back into the oatmeal tub
smile.png

So the chickens didn't like the corn so much, fine with me bc it stunk up the house cooking it
tongue.png

I did just make some couscous for them (got a 22lb bag for $4) and they LOVE it...even tho it is getting evening here they all came out to chow down.
We are supposed to get snow tomorrow so I figured they needed something to keep 'em warm tonight
smile.png

Since it's been so cold I've been mixing up a batch of Steamed rolled oats, raisins, scrambled eggs beaten with plain yogurt, a few handfuls of premimun bird seed that has milo,millet and cracked corn in it, some hulled BOSS and a few sqirts of poultry nutrient supplement. The chickens just love it! It really smells good also. My DH says it smells good enough to eat himself.
lau.gif
If I don't have extra eggs to scramble them I replace them with some canned mackeral. YUM!!!!

6 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped dried apples or bananas
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT FOR OATMEAL:
3/4 cup water

DIRECTIONS
In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.

To prepare oatmeal: In a deep microwave-safe bowl, combine 1/2 cup oatmeal mix and 3/4 cup water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1 minute; stir. Cook 30-60 seconds longer or until bubbly. Let stand 1-2 minutes. Yield: 1 serving per batch.

Hooligan: That sounds like something I would like, but I hope you are not feeding that to the chicks, if so you might want to leave out the sugar, their taste buds do not work like ours.
love.gif
they do not need sugar.

I just loooked up the nutritional value of white rice versus brown and in some of the nutrients the white rice wins soI was wrong about it not being healthy, it is still not great but it is fine for our little ones.
I love white rice cooked up gooey with lots of butter and fresh cracked pepper,yummmm My mother-in-law is to blame for that one. :^)

D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

.​

Last edited:
I cook -specifically for them, mind you.- oatmeal, I'll usually put brown sugar, a bit of honey, and raisins in the oatmeal. Pasta -just got done feeding them some-, steamed veggies, I'll boil them some eggs and crush it up shell and all... They're spoiled. But they love me!

When it's cold I give them oatmeal with a bit of red pepper to help warm them up. I add vitamins to theri water. I add garlic and acv alternating. And they all food scraps and leftovers. In the summer I don't cook for them as much but I grow foo dfor them
big_smile.png

Lets see. Every Sunday I give my horses a warm bran mash and so I MUST give the birds something. So I make them warm oatmeal with mealworms in it. OH BOY!!
Also, in the summer, I make them a salad with Cilantro, parsley strawberries, green beans, cucumbers, green seedless grapes and tomatoes. The peacocks like the grapes.
It goes over very well. Mon-sat they get cracked corn twice a day in the winter and in the summer I give them Kaytee bird seed.
-Theresa

Back
Top Bottom