How many of you FULLY Free Range your Cornish X Meaties? Tractors do not count.

Pics
I tried this several years ago, I found at about 14 weeks they got to heavy for their legs and just collapsed of the ground. Has anyone had a similar experience??????

I raised them to adulthood. They were around 8 months when they died suddenly of heart failure I assume. The winter was very hard on them. They need to be active. I hatched out a few of their chicks, and kept two girls to keep.

Here they are at 6 weeks.

I raised them to adulthood. They were around 8 months when they died suddenly of heart failure I assume. The winter was very hard on them. They need to be active. I hatched out a few of their chicks, and kept two girls to keep.

Here they are at 6 weeks.

I think the problem is hybrid vigour, because the X grow so fast they can not keep it up, I must admit I have moved on, I find the CX full of fat, I prefer a lean mean bird raised with omega-3 fat as per http://www.findtex.com.au/
Here is my recent offering last week, note the lack of fat.

I think the problem is hybrid vigour, because the X grow so fast they can not keep it up, I must admit I have moved on, I find the CX full of fat, I prefer a lean mean bird raised with omega-3 fat as per http://www.findtex.com.au/
Here is my recent offering last week, note the lack of fat.
Hmm.. that's strange. I have found more fat on my layer culls than any CX I ever did ;)

You do need to spend some time on http://www.findtex.com.au/ to fully appreciate what I am saying here, also I must admit the reason I have Rocks is that I find that they grow slow, but when fed omega-3 they grow lean and mean, that is what I want as a diabetic
You won't get the white meat on any other chicken that you do on a CX.

Also, that offspring pic I posted was a Barred Plymouth Rock crossed with a CX. Much smaller, but nice and wide.

You won't get the white meat on any other chicken that you do on a CX.

Also, that ofspring pic I posted was a Barred Plymouth Rock crossed with a CX. Much smaller, but nice and wide.
I can C the flat back of a Rock on them now that U mention it, that might work as the rock will slow their growth. As per white meat U may have a point but I still maintain that the leanest bird I have found is the Rock. (Pt of interest, since I have been on this site. I find that the rocks in North America do tend to have a different body shape to those we have in OZ, it may have to do different blood lines etc, interested on your view)

I can C the flat back of a Rock on them now that U mention it, that might work as the rock will slow their growth. As per white meat U may have a point but I still maintain that the leanest bird I have found is the Rock. (Pt of interest, since I have been on this site. I find that the rocks in North America do tend to have a different body shape to those we have in OZ, it may have to do different blood lines etc, interested on your view)

This is the father of my cross.

I didn't want a barred table bird because of the black dots it leaves on the carcass. So the chicks are white, which I am very happy with :)

This is the father of my cross.

I didn't want a barred table bird because of the black dots it leaves on the carcass. So the chicks are white, which I am very happy with :)
As a diabetic I pull the skin off anyway, Rocks here tend to have thin skin with no fat underneath so they are ideal, what I will say about this bird is he has big wattles for us and his tail is different. I will be going to the nationals in July and will take some photos so that we can compare, but he has a different body shape. ps on the other thread your choice is mine as for the bar but I wonder about his head.

As a diabetic I pull the skin off anyway, Rocks here tend to have thin skin with no fat underneath so they are ideal, what I will say about this bird is he has big wattles for us and his tail is different. I will be going to the nationals in July and will take some photos so that we can compare, but he has a different body shape. ps on the other thread your choice is mine as for the bar but I wonder about his head.
I don't eat the skin, but it keeps all the flavour when cooking.

This is the ideal head :)

His head close up.

I don't eat the skin, but it keeps all the flavour when cooking.

This is the ideal head :)

His head close up.
Just went back to find the newsletter from last years nationals but the photos where terrible and would not copy, nice heads, we would like to C the last (5th point) a little shorter, a side pt the 2ns photo has black (horn) on his beck, my blues have and I get lots for it even though the standard here say preferably yellow or can be horn with yellow towards the end. Nice heads, nice bar.

Back
Top Bottom