How many of you FULLY Free Range your Cornish X Meaties? Tractors do not count.

Pics
This has been an excellant thread and a total inspiration to get a small quantity of cornish x and free range them here on my property....

Aoxa, Please keep us updated on your two little pullets... John
Unfortunately down to one now. A fox got the other :(

But will keep you updated. Second one is secure in my Barred Rock Breeding pen until we get the fox taken care of.

That's too bad about the little one...

I am curious to see how far you can take
the other one....eggs, breeding, etc. John

I fully free range. They have an acre and essentially no fences. I now turn them out at 4 days old, the same as a mother chick takes them out. They do really well and seem to eat more pasture, bugs and forage during their 6-8 week lives this way. This is much more difficult in winter. You have to have enough, 50 or more and they huddle together at night. A red light keeps them happy and healthy for two weeks at least even with the body warm. Ours mix with all ages and ALWAYS with other breeds.

You can see the 6 day old cornish along the shore here. The heritage chickens encourage them to do so. They also grow up with duck buddies, but they grow apart very quickly. Mine end up being 7-10 for hens and 8-11 pounds for cockrels at 7 weeks, shown here. I would love to find resources on the Cornish Rock and meat chickens. This forum has too many fragments. Im interested in breeding that works. Ill buy some of yours and try them out! Im breeding too, turken-Cornish X, Red Giant Cornish x with white rock, many more..

I fully free range. They have an acre and essentially no fences. I now turn them out at 4 days old, the same as a mother chick takes them out. They do really well and seem to eat more pasture, bugs and forage during their 6-8 week lives this way. This is much more difficult in winter. You have to have enough, 50 or more and they huddle together at night. A red light keeps them happy and healthy for two weeks at least even with the body warm. Ours mix with all ages and ALWAYS with other breeds.

You can see the 6 day old cornish along the shore here. The heritage chickens encourage them to do so. They also grow up with duck buddies, but they grow apart very quickly. Mine end up being 7-10 for hens and 8-11 pounds for cockrels at 7 weeks, shown here. I would love to find resources on the Cornish Rock and meat chickens. This forum has too many fragments. Im interested in breeding that works. Ill buy some of yours and try them out! Im breeding too, turken-Cornish X, Red Giant Cornish x with white rock, many more..
Ducks on a plate, look good, off my diet now as a diabetic but love the look.

I just ordered some Cornish X chicks! I am raising them for myself and my sister-in-law. She's got some dietary issues, so she's requesting that we raise them without corn, wheat, or soy. I've been trying to figure out what that would entail, and I'm having some challenges. She said she talked with someone at the farmers market that free ranged her cornish x, and they just fed the chickens fruits and veggies. I'm thinking that I'll need to be proactive about protein, and I don't have the hugest yard, so even though I'm happy to let them loose, I'm assuming they'll still need quite a lot of help from me.

Any food suggestions?

I just ordered some Cornish X chicks! I am raising them for myself and my sister-in-law. She's got some dietary issues, so she's requesting that we raise them without corn, wheat, or soy. I've been trying to figure out what that would entail, and I'm having some challenges. She said she talked with someone at the farmers market that free ranged her cornish x, and they just fed the chickens fruits and veggies. I'm thinking that I'll need to be proactive about protein, and I don't have the hugest yard, so even though I'm happy to let them loose, I'm assuming they'll still need quite a lot of help from me.

Any food suggestions?
I'm raising Cornish x and since chickens are not vegetarian, I can't imagine that fruits and veggies are going to sustain them or allow them to grow properly. These chickens have voracious appetites and I would believe they would need more than that. I would imagine there are feeds that would fit her requirements or you could purchase certain grains and mix your own. I do think you have a bit of a challenge ahead of you! Hopefully others can give you some good suggestions.

Good luck!

Any food suggestions? 

Seems unfair of her to ask that an animal be forced to restrict their diet in such a drastic way because of her own.

Does consumption of those specific grains really effect the characteristics of the meat to such a degree that it becomes less edible to her?

Seems unfair of her to ask that an animal be forced to restrict their diet in such a drastic way because of her own.

Does consumption of those specific grains really effect the characteristics of the meat to such a degree that it becomes less edible to her?
It makes no difference in the meat. You won't find gluten in chicken that eats wheat and barley. Otherwise people with Celiac Disease would have to be vegan as well.

Corn, soy and wheat can all be organic. If she wants GMO free, go with organic feed. To feed a chick only fruits and veggies and have them thrive - I have no idea how that can be done, nor have I read anything about it being done successfully. Maybe the people at the farmer's market are pulling her leg to get her to buy their product.

It makes no difference in the meat. You won't find gluten in chicken that eats wheat and barley. Otherwise people with Celiac Disease would have to be vegan as well.

Corn, soy and wheat can all be organic. If she wants GMO free, go with organic feed. To feed a chick only fruits and veggies and have them thrive - I have no idea how that can be done, nor have I read anything about it being done successfully. Maybe the people at the farmer's market are pulling her leg to get her to buy their product.

Haha, that's possible!! From the research I've done, I'm thinking that besides fruit and veg, I can mix in dairy such as yogurt and cottage cheese. I can also do other grains, like someone just suggested, and maybe seed mixtures? I'm also thinking all look more into meal worms, etc and other bugs I can purchase bigger quantities of. I don't really understand the whole argument for why this diet is important, but I wanted to at least try it out for one round since it seemed important to her.

Haha, that's possible!! From the research I've done, I'm thinking that besides fruit and veg, I can mix in dairy such as yogurt and cottage cheese. I can also do other grains, like someone just suggested, and maybe seed mixtures? I'm also thinking all look more into meal worms, etc and other bugs I can purchase bigger quantities of. I don't really understand the whole argument for why this diet is important, but I wanted to at least try it out for one round since it seemed important to her.
It's balancing the diet in the first two weeks that is important. They need a good start. After that, I say go for it.

I'd contact Centrachid about this kind of diet for chicks right away. He is quite minimalistic with feeding if I remember right.

They would need grit to be able to process any whole foods.

Back
Top Bottom