How many of you FULLY Free Range your Cornish X Meaties? Tractors do not count.

Pics
Organic feed is NOT GMO free. That is a myth. The food supply is so contaminated with GMOs that any food with corn cannot honestly state it is GMO free. Here in California the complete food is Modesto Milling. The King Organic has no corn and is thus supposedly GMO free.
Meat birds like the Cornish X MUST have lots of animal protien, 20 percent of their feed is ideal. The feeds above include synthetic protiens. You should NOT raise Cornish X with someone giving these exclusions. Raise red rangers or turkens, but those also must have protiens. If they can get a lot of bugs it can work

Seems unfair of her to ask that an animal be forced to restrict their diet in such a drastic way because of her own.

Does consumption of those specific grains really effect the characteristics of the meat to such a degree that it becomes less edible to her?

Do game birds eat corn and soy? Is current wheat even close to natural? These three ingredients are very unhealthy both for the chickens and the humans that consume them. I won't be feeding my chickens GMO feed or unnatural foods unless I feel there is some massive benefit. There is nothing healthy about corn or soy for chickens and the wheat in commercial feed is pretty questionable too.
Our birds do not have a restricted diet in the least. It is possible to raise happy, healthy and wholesome chickens on natural foods. We're just so used to these government forced crops that we've forgotten what is natural!

I'm only on page 11 of this thread (and will continue reading after my post) but I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this discussion! We moved to the country earlier this month and I'm picking up my very first batch of 20 CX chicks this afternoon!!!!

I originally had thought I'd be going the chicken tractor route but somehow it just didn't sit well with me. I wondered if I wouldn't be doing the same injustice to these creatures as the big broiler houses and part of the reason for moving out of the city was to grow/raise/hunt as much for the family table as possible ourselves, and under the best conditions we could provide for those animals under our care.

Then I found this thread and that changed everything. I will definitely be free ranging my flock and am looking forward to the experience, from start to finish :)

Thanks again everyone!!

I'm only on page 11 of this thread (and will continue reading after my post) but I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this discussion! We moved to the country earlier this month and I'm picking up my very first batch of 20 CX chicks this afternoon!!!!

I originally had thought I'd be going the chicken tractor route but somehow it just didn't sit well with me. I wondered if I wouldn't be doing the same injustice to these creatures as the big broiler houses and part of the reason for moving out of the city was to grow/raise/hunt as much for the family table as possible ourselves, and under the best conditions we could provide for those animals under our care.

Then I found this thread and that changed everything. I will definitely be free ranging my flock and am looking forward to the experience, from start to finish :)

Thanks again everyone!!
Hello, I also raise CX. I use a chicken tractor that I move two to three times per day and I also free range my chicks daily. The tractor provides a safe, clean place to sleep or get shelter and they can run around out in the pasture all they want. Tractors are great when used properly along with free ranging. I do not provide food 24/7. I measure out and feed a couple of times per day.

You can see my thread and how happy and healthy my CX are if you go to https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/896158/first-run-of-cornish-cross-meat-birds-and-super-excited I have videos of the happy little guys running around and documented my full experience. Raising CX is an absolute delight to me. I love the little guys!

Hello, I also raise CX. I use a chicken tractor that I move two to three times per day and I also free range my chicks daily. The tractor provides a safe, clean place to sleep or get shelter and they can run around out in the pasture all they want. Tractors are great when used properly along with free ranging. I do not provide food 24/7. I measure out and feed a couple of times per day.

You can see my thread and how happy and healthy my CX are if you go to https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/896158/first-run-of-cornish-cross-meat-birds-and-super-excited I have videos of the happy little guys running around and documented my full experience. Raising CX is an absolute delight to me. I love the little guys!
Hey JessicaThistle! I did read your thread and love the videos! I'm not completely foregoing the idea of a tractor (it's 80% built) but I will be using it for night time keeping and the odd day I have to work at the office.

For the rest of the time, they will be free ranging :)

Hey JessicaThistle! I did read your thread and love the videos! I'm not completely foregoing the idea of a tractor (it's 80% built) but I will be using it for night time keeping and the odd day I have to work at the office.

For the rest of the time, they will be free ranging :)
Yay! That sounds like a perfect idea!

Well, at one week + one day my chicks are doing very well. They're actively testing out their wings abilities and are having fun trying to perch on the stick I placed low in the brooder.

I'll be moving them to the barn this weekend after I spend a few evenings getting it set up for them but have a question for y'all.

The daytime temps in my area will be between 71-78 this weekend and into next week. Would it be too early for me to start free ranging them, even if I let them out a few hours mid day, or should I hold off until they are a bit older?

Well, at one week + one day my chicks are doing very well. They're actively testing out their wings abilities and are having fun trying to perch on the stick I placed low in the brooder.

I'll be moving them to the barn this weekend after I spend a few evenings getting it set up for them but have a question for y'all.

The daytime temps in my area will be between 71-78 this weekend and into next week. Would it be too early for me to start free ranging them, even if I let them out a few hours mid day, or should I hold off until they are a bit older?

I think you can let them FR if you watch them...

I let mine free range completely at a day over 2 weeks... They loved it.

Back
Top Bottom