How Many of You have Friendly Roos and...

The sweetest roo I have is a STD Brahma. he is a sweetie, he use to ride around on my shoulder till he got too big. The meanest roo I have right now is a dang Polish...lol...everytime I turn my back he gets me.....little does he know since I only have him and 2 hens which are real sweet...he can go real quick...lol

Two roos, both EE's
#1 Roo - Trevor - He's a gentleman but won't let me pick him up. He's sweet to his girls and very non-agressive.

#2 Roo - Puff - You have to watch your back with him though he's not too aggressive. I usually lift up my arms, wave them and move towards him if it looks like he's about to head for me. Won't stand for "NO" from his girls though, which I don't like, though that means he will get the job done for breeding purposes. . Needs to be rehomed. See my post on this subject. I need to learn how to post pic's.
smile.png
<>< Barb

I have two beautiful Faverolles roosters, bot quite friendly, although neither particularly likes to be picked up. They will both come running when they see me, and will eat from my hand... generally, though, they call their girls to the treats.

They get along with each other wonderfully, too. They're a little less than a year old.

I chose my two from among several. There was one mean Fav among... lessee... six. And he wasn't mean to me... he was just pretty aggressive to the other roosters. He may have been better with fewer guys.

I haven't liked any of the bantam roosters I've ever had, but I've seen lots of people who adore them.

One of my roosters, the Dauphin, will actually call me over whenever he finds a sharp object. He'll make his calling sound, but he chases away any girls that come over. When I see that, I know to go check it out. It might be a nail that they've scratched up, or a tiny piece of glass. I have no idea how he knows to keep the girls away from those things, but it's happened three times in a year. (We live on a very old farm, and unfortunately things like that sometimes just seem to get turned up... the last time it was an old, iron square headed nail.)

I LOVE my roosters, and so do the girls. The Dauphin will even let some hens lower in the pecking order shelter underneath his wings.

love.gif

I've never had a mean one, my current boys (except a few bantams) are all cockerals and won't be considered roosters until later this spring and fall. I did have a little OEG mix black rooster that thought he could chase people; we culled him because I didn't want his behavior influencing the others.

Standards:

Ancona
Cubalaya
Dark Cornish
RIR
Barred Rock
Easter Egger

Bantam:

OEG mixes
OEG
BTW Japanese
Seabright
Polish
Sultan
D'Uccle
Cochin

I have not had chickens very long ( less than a year ) and I have only had 2 roos in that time ( both unplanned ) the first was a standard size large white roo ( got him from the feedstore as a baby around easter- was told he was a she ) named him KFC raised him with lots of love - he turned out to be a total jerk LOL always flogging me and drew blood more than once - he got rehomed.
The second roo is my little Black Dutch banty Clyde - he was ordered from privett along with 4 others of that breed all were "hens" found out that 4 of the 5 were roos rehomed all but Clyde, he is a total nut job always flying over the fence to take a walk around the yard, gets up in the tree, crows all the time, trys to keep his lady in line- always warns them and me when the neighbors pitt bulls are out, has never once flogged me - he does like to get on the coop where he is at my head level and acts big and tough - he does this little sideways walk dragging one wing I just shoo him away, I hold him often and he does not fight me and that much.

so I have had 1 good and 1 not so good roo LOL

Julie

hugomordred.jpg

Hugo is the one on the right. He is indeed big, he is about an inch taller than my knees, and I'm 5'5". The roo on the left is one of my obnoxious Buttercups.

I have never seen my roosters around kids, so wouldn't know about that. The local Boy Scouts are afraid of him, for what it's worth, but I think that's just because he makes a scary noise. They don't sound like a normal rooster crow, they sound like a foghorn in comparison. Well, actually they sound a bit like a big whiny dog watching you eat a sandwich--sort of low, grumbly, yet whiny.

Back
Top Bottom