How many of you help a weak chick hatch...

I'm a helper. I always feel they deserve a chance and I hate the feeling that I should have helped when they don't make it. If I help and they don't make it, it seems more meant to be after I've done my best to save them.

I always help. It is not always a sign that the chick in weak or sickly - sometimes external conditions affect how well chicks can hatch - like humidity or the position of the egg (if its in a nest).

You can only do good by giving it a chance to get out!

I've been keeping and hatching my own eggs for over twenty years-------for a strong healthy flock, you have to let the strongest survive and cull the weak/sick.

I am guilty of helping after a certain length of time when the chick looks just utterly exhusted. One of the trio I sold last week was one I had helped that had made it.

I have helped and would do it again, but only as a last resort. I helped one out last summer that was zipped almost to the point of hatching. Seem the legs were in a funky position. I didn't pull the chick all the way out. Just a little help. Turned out to have messed up legs and ended up dying after a week. Broke my heart and I wondered if I did the right thing helping. I guess I would do it again at least the chick would have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom