How many of you help a weak chick hatch...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bobbi-j, Mar 13, 2012.

1. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    ... and how many just let nature take its course? Just curious.

2. oddbirdranch

oddbirdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Southern CA
    I'm a helper. I always feel they deserve a chance and I hate the feeling that I should have helped when they don't make it. If I help and they don't make it, it seems more meant to be after I've done my best to save them.

3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I always help. It is not always a sign that the chick in weak or sickly - sometimes external conditions affect how well chicks can hatch - like humidity or the position of the egg (if its in a nest).

You can only do good by giving it a chance to get out!

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I've been keeping and hatching my own eggs for over twenty years-------for a strong healthy flock, you have to let the strongest survive and cull the weak/sick.

5. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    i help them tho i wont take them all the way out unless they are shrink wrapped.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I used to help, when I new to hatching. Not anymore.....

7. GableBabble

GableBabble Ninja Chicken Herder

May 27, 2010
    I am guilty of helping after a certain length of time when the chick looks just utterly exhusted. One of the trio I sold last week was one I had helped that had made it.

8. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I have helped and would do it again, but only as a last resort. I helped one out last summer that was zipped almost to the point of hatching. Seem the legs were in a funky position. I didn't pull the chick all the way out. Just a little help. Turned out to have messed up legs and ended up dying after a week. Broke my heart and I wondered if I did the right thing helping. I guess I would do it again at least the chick would have a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by