How many of you really think it is possible??

I have WHAT in my yard? :

I got to talking to some people yesterday and got to wondering.

BYC is a wide spectrum of people so let me ask: How many of you really think that major civil unrest/societal destabilization is likely in the next five years?

For a different perspective, I'll throw out mine. I don't think you are talking about the stuff that went on in the 60's and early 70's, the anti-war, free-love and drugs, and racial issues. We could have some interesting discussions on the triggers for those, that new-fangled TV bringing war into our homes on the evening news or our government failing to convince enough Americans that this was worth Americans dying for; birth control pills or the affluent baby-boomers wanting to give their kids what they did not have growing up; blacks and whites fighting and dying together while depending on each other or just that blacks and whites finally started mixing so you could get to know each other on a personal basis versus perceptions of "them", many more things and probably a combination of things feeding off each other. While this was our latest time of great societal change, I never really got the feel that our government was about to fall or that the majority of our people were going to take to the streets. I think you are talking about a more general breakdown of society.

What would be the triggers of a total breakdown of society? I think the main possibility would be economic where a substantial number of our population cannot take care of themselves and their families. As a benchmark, think about the Great Depression and how bad things were then. I'm guessing something worse than that is what you are talking about. While that was a global meltdown, don't forget that those were also the dust bowl years which made it even worse for a lot of our citizens. I'm not convinced the stock market meltdown was the only cause of the Great Depression, or maybe another way to say it is that I'm not convinced that an overextended market was the only cause. We came out of that without a total breakdown across society, although it was rough for a lot of people for a long time and it did greatly affect how people thought for the rest of their lifetimes.

What are some of the things that could trigger a breakdown? I'll pretty much discount most natural disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquakes. I just don't see them as affecting enough people to cause a general breakdown in society. I lived through Katrina so I know how much some people's lives were changed, but really, how much did Katrina affect the daily life of people living in St. Paul, Minnesota? I don't think a major earthquake in California would have that much of an effect on most of us as bad as it would be for the people that live through it. California will eventually slide off into the ocean, but that is going to be over geological time, not next week. I don't think even a major Tsunami would trigger what you are talking about. Of course, an asteroid hit could, but what are the odds? The type of natural disasters I would worry about is a time of drought or wet weather that significantly disrupts the world's food supply over a period of years. I personally think we could survive a few years of that, but a severe food shortage worldwide could be a trigger. If you are in the camp that climate change to rival or eclipse the dust bowl years is going to occur in the next few years, you have my permission to worry.

What could be another trigger? A government meltdown? I'm not too concerned about the federal government collapsing in the next couple of years. I'm not real happy with deficit financing and there will eventually be a bill to pay, and I worry about inflation getting out of control, but I think the Feds can smoke and mirror us for a while longer to avoid that total meltdown. I do think it is coming and it will not be pretty, but I just don't see it happening in the next few years. A state meltdown is much more possible. Some states, like Arkansas, have a balanced budget law and while we are one of the poorest states in the country, we are actually in pretty good shape financially. I wonder if we are considered one of the poorest states because we are in pretty good shape financially? Oh, well, that's another topic. The type of state meltdown I'm talking about is maybe New Jersey's pension fiasco. I don't know if that bill is coming due or if it is just that the governor sees how big that bill is and is generating a crisis mentality to deal with it. But New Jersey could probably melt down without me taking to the streets with my pitchfork, even if the Feds do use my taxes to bail them out which would not make me very happy. California with their budget problems could probably melt down without me grabbing my pitchfork, but if enough states melt down, I may start sharpening those tines, depending on what action the Feds take.

There are certain international events that could be a trigger. An easy example is a Middle East war that shuts down oil supplies. That could cause a major societal change, but I'm not convinced it would cause an overthrow of our government. If it caused enough disruption, I think it could meet your criteria for this thread. Will this happen in the next five years? I can't tell you. With our current state of technology in the communications field, great harm can be created pretty easily that could raise tensions to a dangerous level. I'll be a little absurd to illustrate what I am talking about. I can envision Kim IL Jung reading something on Wikileaks that sends him over that rational edge he is unstably standing on now.

So to answer your question as I think I understand it, will a major societal upheaval occur in the next five years in the United States, I think it is possible but unlikely. But I do think some societal changes, less severe than the 60's-70's but still significant, will occur. Which direction thay will take, I am not going to guess. Anyway, my opinion.​

Quote:
Your book was likely to be considered outdated because of a reference being changed, a small bit of text was altered in the next edition, or the next addition had a picture moved from page 35 to page 37. Many college books are replaced on a semester by semester basis because a new edition is out, even if the new edition doesn't have any new information. It's a way for the college store and the non college associated book sellers to make more money. Many of my professors have refused to buy new editions or bought their own books to let students use.

As for history books changing, new perspectives have been found on historical events, shedding new light on what really happened. History for the longest time, especially wars, take overs and exploring, was written by those who won, took over and discovered. History has been quite one sided up until the information age in which it is very difficult to just tell one side of the story. With new information you can teach a more complete story and know more about what has happened and why it happened. It is understandable to have an updated history book every few years so that students aren't learning outdated or biased information.

Quote:
History is written by the victors. Only truly reliable sources are primary source documents and some books that rely almost entirely on primary source documents.

Quote:
I know it's inevitable. All things end. Nothing lasts forever. I'll be fine, unless I die in which case I won't care anymore. Happy New Year everyone! I really don't understand the point of studying history if we consistently refuse to learn from it.

The way I figure it, we have a few options.

#1: Bankruptcy and implosion of the Federal government, followed by general chaos due to the extremely sudden loss of government safety nets and other programs. Probably not a lot of fun.
#2: There is the possibility of going the way of Rome.
#3: Go the way of the Soviets - economic breakdown, followed by a breakup.
#4: Meet the fate of the British Empire. The territories (States, in this case) up and leave. This would probably be the least painful, simply by virtue of the fact that "America" as a sovereign nation would technically survive, although it would be significantly smaller. Still, it wouldn't be pretty, as the current balance of power would be massively upset, and it would still coincide with massive economic trouble. It also might end up very painful through possible wars to retain the states.

I'm sure that there are many other possible ends that might be met, but these seem the most probable.

caf.gif

I saw the link for the 1 year Costco supply of food. ...not very appetizing
sad.png
I really hope nothing goes bad... I would miss good food. ...Although my Uncle Mike is praying for it. He's one of those guys that wishes for the collapse of the government so he could at last show everyone how right he was
roll.png
hahahahaah He's had his own survivalist set since the 80's complete with gas mask
lol.png
There is even a rumor he has a bunker under his house which includes army rations for a year and his own personal arsenal. If things do go bad, I may take back everything I've ever said about him
cool.png
Kid's pack it up... We're heading out west
big_smile.png

My vision of how things most likely will go bad is..

First, our economy takes another big hit.. like gas prices go through the roof or unemployment levels reach an unimaginable high or something along those lines which then causes Americans to no longer afford all that trash from China. Our nation has been so accustomed with having what we want when we want it that no one settles for "gently used" or saves for something that is nice. We just charge up our credit cards and refinance ourselves right out of our homes to pay for the cheap stuff right now and then buy it again next year when it breaks. China is making a fortune off of us! They depend on our economy to support theirs. The money they lend us it directly related to their ability to sell us all their stuff. China exports more things to the US than anywhere else in the world. While we export nearly 70 billion dollars worth of goods to China each year, we import nearly 300 billion per year http://www.uschina.org/statistics/tradetable.html So, once their stuff isn't selling and Americans aren't so wasteful because they cannot afford to be, then

Finally, China will get serious about collecting their debt. Public relations between countries will become volatile and war or worse happens next. What happens when they start claiming land because they own banks which hold American mortgages??

Wow. I didn't realize they bought that much of our stuff. I didn't realize we even produced that much stuff in a year. It's probably all high tech warplanes and stuff to help them collect their debts. Weapons and prisons are the only growth industries left in America.

Back
Top Bottom