How many of you really think it is possible??

Quote:
I do, as a matter of fact...Some, as high as 14,500'

Royd. Is that your picture?

Yes, it is....I was thinking of something smart to say, but I'll let it pass. And yes, I'm one of those dirty hippies, or as I prefer, a Bohemian Redneck.

Quote:
I don’t know it could be interesting! Maybe it would turn the economy around. You know that they say the reason she sells so well is that, besides being off the wall crazy, in a recession excess sells. People like to emulate excess when times are tough. Besides think of the outfits she would wear to press conferences, like that meat dress!
lau.gif

Ok I am being goofy… but the idea does sort of makes me smile! I would vote for her!
clap.gif

We've gone from Mae West to Marilyn Monroe to Madonna to Lady Gaga......Does anyone see a pattern, here? Mostly, downhill.

Quote:
Royd. Is that your picture?

Yes, it is....I was thinking of something smart to say, but I'll let it pass. And yes, I'm one of those dirty hippies, or as I prefer, a Bohemian Redneck.

I was just asking Royd. When I first got on this forum I thought that Mahonris avatar was him. I told my wife that he looked just like Jesus. She told me it was Jesus. Ever since then I always wonder. In case you haven't figured me out yet. I don't judge people on appearance. I judge on character or perceived character. I would wear my hair long but it's too much trouble. I hate getting tangles out and having it get pulled by the weight of my head when I sleep.

I always wonder about avatars and what they are trying to say.

I'll have to admit that it was strange reading mahonris postings while staring at Jesus. made it more spiritual or something.

Last edited:
Quote:

I was just asking Royd. When I first got on this forum I thought that Mahonris avatar was him. I told my wife that he looked just like Jesus. She told me it was Jesus. Ever since then I always wonder. In case you haven't figured me out yet. I don't judge people on appearance. I judge on character or perceived character. I would wear my hair long but it's too much trouble. I hate getting tangles out and having it get pulled by the weight of my head when I sleep.

I'll have to admit that it was strange reading mahonris postings while staring at Jesus. made it more spiritual or something.

Bless you, My Son.
lol.png

The presidency is the most important job in our country and requires one of the smartest minds of our time to lead us from potential devastation day to day. As the media is taking over our thoughts and telling us what they want us to know, reality shows are infecting our morality and all the while we see celebrities like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie and dream we could be more like them....
th.gif
Our most treasured American, our president is somehow falling in those cracks and his/her role has become something of the inbetween.. You can "friend" Barack Obama on facebook. We cannot wait to see what Michele is wearing to that dinner party and I wouldn't be suprised if "The Obamas" isn't the next new hit... Just look at Sarah Palin and her new series. DISGUSTING.. Barack is a brilliant man but, even he was not prepared for what hit him in the face after his inaguration. Lady Gaga?? I seriously doubt she could even comprehend the depths of our dispair. Look at each president and how much younger they looked on inaguration day... Look at Bush and Obama... The stress is literally killing them.

We need to seperate politics from popularity and do it quick or we're in for a real shock... The campaign trail is now a race to see who can gain the most amount of money by telling the richest people what they want to here, to get more ads out on TV and dig up enough dirt about the competition all the while having the smartest people in your corner to make you appear like the best candidate.. by whatever means necessary. It's a fraud and should be illegal.

Last edited:
New rules:

a.) the family of any person running for any office is off limits from personal attacks. If they have done anything illegal then that can be reported if it applies to the job of the person running. DUIs etc do not count.

b.) The campaign can only run for three months period. Done and over

c.) the people running get a set amount of money to spend; everyone gets the same amount depending on office being sought. Anyone discovered spending any MORE than that amount on things related to campaigning is disqualified from running and must pay back what was given to them.

d.) Lobbyists should be illegal. But, they cannot be so there needs to be serious limits. No one who served ANY government official can become a lobbyist for a minimum of five years after leaving that position. NO lobbyist can run for any office for five years after leaving a lobbying group. No former lobbyists for any one corporation may go to work in the regulatory body that oversees that industry.No lobbying group can accept more than 50% of their funding from any one corporation.

For now however, all members of congress should wear coveralls like NASCAR racers with sponsors names emblazoned on them so we know who owns them!
No sane person would want to be president these days.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

New rules:

a.) the family of any person running for any office is off limits from personal attacks. If they have done anything illegal then that can be reported if it applies to the job of the person running. DUIs etc do not count.

c.) the people running get a set amount of money to spend; everyone gets the same amount depending on office being sought. Anyone discovered spending any MORE than that amount on things related to campaigning is disqualified from running and must pay back what was given to them.

d.) Lobbyists should be illegal. But, they cannot be so there needs to be serious limits. No one who served ANY government official can become a lobbyist for a minimum of five years after leaving that position. NO lobbyist can run for any office for five years after leaving a lobbying group. No former lobbyists for any one corporation may go to work in the regulatory body that oversees that industry.No lobbying group can accept more than 50% of their funding from any one corporation.

For now however, all members of congress should wear coveralls like NASCAR racers with sponsors names emblazoned on them so we know who owns them!No sane person would want to be president these days.

Great idea!
lau.gif
If I ran for office I'd have to wear coveralls with my wife's picture all over them.
lol.png

Excellent set of rules... and obvious to all of us that they are necessary.. Why can't the folks in office see what needs to be done? ..well, because it doesn't get them their pay check or their connection or whatever. Maybe we NEED to get someone in office that is not a senator and has no connections. He/She will have a cabinet of advisors to help aid them but, there will be no pre-existing ties that bind
wink.png

Maybe WE should start a facebook page and call it something like... THE NEW AMERICAN or something where we discuss what needs to change and how the current laws are corrupting our system... we gain followers and create a list of non-partisan, non-political, non-celebrity, non-agenda seeking individuals whom we can offer for office. Folks would write in so-and-so, the principal of their local school who has done an amazing job for years and everyone in the community admires and respects him or Mr. whomever, the town sheriff whom is fair and kind and has the respect of HIS entire community. We keep a list of all these folks and hold our own election. We support the finalists and hope it takes off...

Quote:

Bless you, My Son.
lol.png

That's what the priest always told me. After I took communion.

I don't agree that they are obvious. I do think they are populist and they sound good but I don't see a good practical way to implement many of them.

You get a lot of sympathy from me on this one, especially with the children, but we need to know if there are skeletons in the closet. We need to know if there is something that could lead to blackmail. We need to know of possible hidden agendas. But the thing that makes this impractical is, who is going to decide if something a relative has done applies to the job? Who gets to decide what information is fit for public knowledge?

I hate the constant campaigning. I really do. But we need to know that the candidate can handle the pressures of the job. We need to know if the candidate has any depth or if their popularity is just a flash in the pan. We need a chance to get to know them. With our current primary system, I think there is a big benefit in having the primaries spread out so you can see how people respond to being the front-runner or how they handle being behind. I think we often make mistakes with the system we have now, but I think we would make a lot more mistakes if we had less chance to get to know the candidates.

Totally impractical in so many ways it is a little hard to respond. If it were only the candidate controlling it, maybe something could be done. But there are so many opportunities for others not controlled by the campaign to send out mailings, put up billboards, buy TV time, whatever, that you cannot limit it. There are attempts at certain limits, such as if you accept federal money you cannot go above a certain limit, but if a campaign figures they can raise more money without the federal money they will go that route. If you want to put out an add for your candidate without their knowledge, should you be restricted from doing that or does that interfere with your freedom of speech? If somebody goes above the limit because of money spent by organizations the candidate does not control, does that disqualify the candidate? If so, I wait until you are close to the limit, then put out a commercial for you that puts you over the limit. I do believe there are rich individuals and organizations that would do that. If they may have to pay it back, why do want to restrict running for office to only rich people? I would like to see candidates less dependent on raising money but advertising gets votes. The more money you can spend, the more advertising you can buy, and the more successful your candidacy will probably be. I do think there are some freedom of speech issues in this. Our constitutional freedom of speech rights don't mean much if they don't protect unpopular speech. I do think there should be penalties for lies and libel, whether they are under oath when spoken or not.

You get some sympathy from me on this one too. I'm not exactly sure how you define lobbyist. I think instead of lobbyist you more mean someone working in the industry, not necessarily just as a lobbyist. I mean, would you want a vice president of BP's American subsidiery becoming secretary of energy? He/she is not a lobbyist, although many higher ups in large private industry corporations are in effect politicians. They are certainly not technicians. I don't have a lot of problem writing certain restrictions in some people's contracts, especially if they are going from government to industry. Five years is kinda severe, but that is only a detail. We are talking principle. I don't have a lot of problem with someone running for an elective office, whether they have been a lobbyist or working in private industry or not. But do you really want to restrict anyone working in a certain industry from working in a government position related to that industry? I don't think I'm saying it well. Do you want to restrict the government from hiring or appointing people that have worked in the industry to a position where they regulate that industry or do want the regulators to be people that don't know the industry. I worked in the oil industry. I think I would be better able to know what is important to look at concerning the oil industry that someone who had worked in a totally unrelated field. I could look at an offshore oil production platform and see some serious defects that others would not see, especially if someone that supposedly knows what they are doing is doing a snow job whike conducting a tour. Where I see the problem is that we have to depend on the integrity of people that we elect. Occasionally we do get good people in office. Occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom