How many people eat there chickens on this form

GoldenSparrow

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
How many people on this form eat there chickens?
I dont, but I just wondered if its common????
Thanks
smile.png

I suppose those who raises meat chickens. I don't eat my chickens but we have bought meat birds before. Oh and most of mine are silkies so that would be crude and mean.q

A while back, Nifty did a poll as to why people keep chickens. You could vote for more than one reason. I voted for meat and eggs. My memory is not the best, but it was less than 20% that voted for meat. So yes, it is pretty common, but we are certainly not a majority.

Not all of us raise meat chickens either. Mine are dual purpose breeds and I eat excess pullets and hens as well as the roosters I hatch.

Ridgerunner
A while back, Nifty did a poll as to why people keep chickens. You could vote for more than one reason. I voted for meat and eggs. My memory is not the best, but it was less than 20% that voted for meat. So yes, it is pretty common, but we are certainly not a majority.

Not all of us raise meat chickens either. Mine are dual purpose breeds and I eat excess pullets and hens as well as the roosters I hatch

Thanks, I think I will see if I can find that poll​

I do eat my meat chickens jumbo cornish cross but I do not eat my layers which are buff orphington and RIR's

We haven't eaten any of ours yet.

We bred a bunch of mutts to grow out and "practice" our processing skills.

We don't have meat birds yet (just layers), but would like to eventually get some meat birds to keep meat in the freezer next year.

smile.png

so why are meat birds better to eat then layers?
are they just fatter? can you eat an old layer hen?

Back
Top Bottom