How many people here like Buff Orpingtons?

StrawberryHouseMouse

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Cleveland, Tennessee
I'm getting me some (or so I hope) and I would just like to see some photos and maybe hear some stories
big_smile.png

I hear they get really big. I'm getting mine mainly for brown eggs but there isn't a single chicken here that's not a pet too <3

Good luck with you buffs. They are a very good bird. They do tend to go broody very easily. They are fantastic mothers too. You could call them the golden retriever of the poultry world LOL!

I have one lone buff hen and am about to order a dozen eggs to hatch. Hoping that goes well. Considered putting some in buff hen's nestbox but she hasn't laid any eggs yet, just bought her last weekend, and she's young so don't know how well that would go. She is by far the friendliest and sweetest chicken on the place. She lets you pet her and doesn't raise much of a fuss when you pick her up. I've got quite a few white leghorns, WILD:cd. The only way you're pettin one of those bugers is to tackle it!!! I've not heard a single negative thing about Buffs. I'm so looking forward to having more.
thumbsup.gif

I have a buff roo, he is king of the chicken yard, and takes good care of his harem. He's never been mean. He's such a gorgeous bird!

Buff Orpingtons are a great choice. Of all my big birds, they are the most interested in being a pet/lap chicken. They follow you all around, roost on the chair you sit on, if not on you.
You will be pleased with the choice for sure
thumbsup.gif

I am head over heels in love with my girls. I started my flock with 8 last summer. I've lost 3 to a sneaky fox and dread the thought of losing any more, they're so sweet, tame and smart! So I'm on the hunt for a young roo now as I would love to hatch me some babies! I think I will have buff orpingtons for the rest of my life, I can't imagine being without them.

I have one from Jody's crew, a wonderful year old girl named Nugget, who just got over raising her chicks. She is larger than my three-yr-old hatchery Buff Orps, Sunny and Ginger. Sunny has been broody twice, Ginger never has. They are awesome girls, sweet personalities, laying big eggs. One day, my laying flock may be nothing but Buff Orps, Barred Plymouth Rocks, with a few BBS Ameraucanas thrown in for spice.

we have 11 hens and 1 is the Duchess of Orpington ...(the name should tell you) we named her the first day when she choose the best spot on the roost ate first and lead everyone else around! she is the leader of the flock..just beautiful very funny and I just adore her! I would for sure get more of these beautiful birds if I had the room

I am a sucker for those great big hens!

Last edited:
I have 3 girls and am constantly amazed by them. My 2 year old can grab them and tote them through the house, and they don't seem to mind. They follow me everywhere I go and looove to climb all over me when I sit down near them. They're definitely not tiny birds for sure.

Back
Top Bottom