How Many PET Chickens Are In Your Flock?

How many chickens?

• Only 1. They are my feathered cat.😊

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I have a pair of 2.🙂

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I have 3.🙃

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • I have a small flock of 4-5

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • I have a flock of 6-10 birds. Not too many, not too little.

Votes: 56 27.9%
  • I have 10-20 birds. Keeping it realistic.😌

Votes: 54 26.9%
  • I have 20-30 birds!

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I have 30-40 chickens! Lots of eggs, lots of types, or both!

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • 40-50 chickens! I keep a big flock!

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 50-80 chickens! Wow! 😍

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 80-100, You keep em as Pets?! How do you keep track of names?!

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 100+ THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY CHICKENS!😃😍

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I don’t keep any pet chickens.

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters
Pics
Probably too many. Started with a flock of 20 last year (new farmer,) and really befriended my Austra Whites (lorps x leghorns.) They're exceptionally intelligent, and my best layers. Managed to get a breeding pair of Ayam Cemanis, so another 2 dozen crosses and purebreds resulted from that. The austra whites x ayam cemani turned out beautiful, some with black skin/beak/eyes/legs with the white feathering and a black splash. Then I thought "hey, I want some blue and green eggs." A dozen snowy easter eggers, cuckoo blue barres, and blue easter eggers later, with roos to breed out more.. haha.

I may end up eating some of them, but most I don't think I could bring myself to process. I farm/homestead entirely with hand tools (they till for me,) and their value has shown itself so quickly. I think most will stick around even past point of lay, just to teach the younger ones where all of the good foraging spots are. My girls even taught me one the other day. I had a tarp on some grass that grew into a bed, and they figured out that if they dance around on the plastic, crickets come out all over. It's hilarious. They go straight to the tarp when they leave the coop in the morning. Chicken math is real though!

Mainly 1 pet, she has been granted “live with us till she dies” status. She is 2.5 years old. Her “sister” (same hatch, same breed) also has same status, but really isn’t handled as much, nor is she as accepting of handling. My kid takes the “pet” to patches of clover so she can eat to her hearts content - she is spoiled! We’ve had a lot of chicks and chickens over the past 2.5 years, but only a few stand out like pets.

Chickens that are not meant for meat, and eggs aren’t their only purpose, meaning you don’t plan to give em away when they slow down production. They are kept for company, and possibly have names.
In other words, they aren’t just working birds, and you care bout them.
Someone said that if you consider them pets, or not is how you should judge and I agree. If you feel like they are work birds, then that’s what they are. If think of them as pets they are.
Seems our views are slightly different. Just cause my layers work imo doesn't mean they aren't pets. I have names for my layers. I enjoy their company and they tolerate me. I generally lovve and care about them and they greatly enrich my life daily. But I sell eggs and have limited space. My originaly 10 will live out their lives here. But as for the rest, at the end of their life they may become coq au vin or get rehomed. I don't love them any less and treat them as well as my indoor dogs. Even my meaties. They are not pets, conventionally, but I have a DEEP love and respect for them because of the independence they give me. I am obsessive about their quality of life for the couple months I have them. I enjoy spending time with them and watching them live their best life.

It is fun to see everyones thoughts on this matter.

Last edited:
How many PET chickens are in your flock? If you have over 100 then post how many!
Mine are all breeders but I WILL NOT cull any of my birds so their all like pets in away. My Cornish Cross is more of a pet. She does breed but she is just a big goofy ball. All my chickens are bantams, but my NN, Jerry, Cornish cross hen, and her babies.

So sorry for your loss. 🥺

I, too, lost my Mom in 2019 and find chickens are a delightful way to find peace and happiness that I hadn't found before. Chickies really are amazing antidepressants 😏
Thank you. Am sorry for the loss of your Mama as well. It just sucks to be Mamaless in the world. I just ran out in the yard to the run in nothing but a clean T-shirt and my undies because I could hear and see a big commotion out there but don’t normally have them out this early due to our coon problem in abundance locally. However, they were just all chasing one around who had caught a horsefly and they were making a grand to do about it all when it was all squished, stolen, then stolen back by the rightful owner then over again, then back again, y’all know the drill, then over and over until finally rightful owner had enough and ate it while the getting was food and good and their was still an identifiable bug left. Anyway I am entertained for the day and on to dog fights cause I have totally rambled and lost all train of the original thought.

Right now I have 7 chickens, and they are all pets.
I started out with 6: Maisie and Penny (RIRs), Marble and Oreo (BRs), and Peppa and Rocky (BAs). Peppa died 3 years ago, and Penny and Oreo died this year. So, I was left with Maisie, Marble, and Rocky.
In June, I decided I wanted more chicks. I got 2 EEs, Bunny and Cheeks, and 2 Cochin bantams, Mango and Papaya. Rocky just happened to be broody at the time, so I slipped the chicks under her and she adopted them.
It was so much fun watching her raise these chicks. My dream is to move somewhere where I can have a lot more chickens, including a rooster, and hatch my own chicks. Even then, all of my chickens will be pets though.

No it’s not ridiculous at all! I think it is just wonderful! Much more healthy than watching tv. Lowers stress and anxiety and brings your blood pressure weigh down. I know it does for me. I lost both my parents in 2019. I am an only child but was 50 years old yet I was so close to my parents. I have grieved hard. Having started my backyard flock this year has been the best thing for that grief and me that I could have ever done. TMI I know but it’s is true. I love them crazy thangs!
Yes, they can be very precious, *especially* the pet ones! I like having them for a little company when I'm out doing yardwork. I'm truly sorry about your loss last year. I'm glad your chickies have been able to help, if even a little bit! ❤

Seems our views are slightly different. Just cause my layers work imo doesn't mean they aren't pets. I have names for my layers. I enjoy their company and they tolerate me. I generally lovve and care about them and they greatly enrich my life daily. But I sell eggs and have limited space. My originaly 10 will live out their lives here. But as for the rest, at the end of their life they may become coq au vin or get rehomed. I don't love them any less and treat them as well as my indoor dogs. Even my meaties. They are not pets, conventionally, but I have a DEEP love and respect for them because of the independence they give me. I am obsessive about their quality of life for the couple months I have them. I enjoy spending time with them and watching them live their best life.

It is fun to see everyones thoughts on this matter.
I did a bad job of giving a definition, but @IamRainey and @Sonya9 did a much better job.

If you plan to let them live out their natural lives regardless of egg production etc... that qualifies as a "pet" vs livestock.

I think the issue is how do you define "pet". If you think of them as pets, they are. If you don't, they aren't.

Back
Top Bottom