How Many PET Chickens Are In Your Flock?

How many chickens?

• Only 1. They are my feathered cat.😊

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I have a pair of 2.🙂

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I have 3.🙃

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • I have a small flock of 4-5

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • I have a flock of 6-10 birds. Not too many, not too little.

Votes: 56 27.9%
  • I have 10-20 birds. Keeping it realistic.😌

Votes: 54 26.9%
  • I have 20-30 birds!

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I have 30-40 chickens! Lots of eggs, lots of types, or both!

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • 40-50 chickens! I keep a big flock!

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 50-80 chickens! Wow! 😍

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 80-100, You keep em as Pets?! How do you keep track of names?!

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 100+ THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY CHICKENS!😃😍

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I don’t keep any pet chickens.

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I've had a White Leghorn for about 4-5 years she's and old girl and still lays an egg on occasion. A couple years ago I ordered Four Silver-laced Wyandottes from Cackle Hatchery ( had a great experience with it for those who wonder). This year I bought a Plymouth Barred Rock, a California White, a Partridge Silkie, and a Prarie Bluebell Egger from our local Farm and Home. I've made a promise that i won't get anymore for a while. We'll see how long that lasts:jumpy

OH has a minimum on how many chickens you can own? Or a minimum on chicks sold at stores?

Can't see how they can mandate people must own 6, what happens if a bird dies?
Yup. They have a minimum to buy to help prevent, in their words, single pet chickens (why do they care?) and selling them as easter presents. I wish I could remember the actual ORC code so I could just paste it here.

King Joop is a stunner!

I have a porcelain guy and he is my favorite! He looks and sounds like he is wearing a dress because I usually hear his little pants rustling when he is poking around nearby. He also chatters a lot. I have mostly quit watching TV in favor of watching my chickens. I also have a running list in my head of which chicken likes what treats. It's ridiculous.

I think my chickens are pets!
I would love to see a picture

Right now I have 7 chickens, and they are all pets.
I started out with 6: Maisie and Penny (RIRs), Marble and Oreo (BRs), and Peppa and Rocky (BAs). Peppa died 3 years ago, and Penny and Oreo died this year. So, I was left with Maisie, Marble, and Rocky.
In June, I decided I wanted more chicks. I got 2 EEs, Bunny and Cheeks, and 2 Cochin bantams, Mango and Papaya. Rocky just happened to be broody at the time, so I slipped the chicks under her and she adopted them.
It was so much fun watching her raise these chicks. My dream is to move somewhere where I can have a lot more chickens, including a rooster, and hatch my own chicks. Even then, all of my chickens will be pets though.
I had a RIR named Penny too, still miss her :love

I went from 4 in 2016 the least pet chickens iv'e ever had to last week when my grand total hit 24.
My flock was a nice tidy 12 before I lost my mind.🧠
Sidenote: Did anybody else physically sigh casting their vote almost shamefully?
100 plus folks I imagine replace the sigh with maniacal laughter, kind of Cruella Deville style.

Last edited:
I have 4 chooks;

Ebony (32 weeks, just started laying, silkie x ((sebright??)), small, floofy),

Kiwi, (28 weeks, not laying, spitzhauben x ?, hates me)

Chai, (32 weeks, not yet laying, chonky girl of 1.25kg, extremely derpy),

Poppy, (Cockerel, not yet crowing, 32 weeks, I'm not allowed roos, trying to find him a home for him)

And................7 little fuzz nuggets, 4 silkie, 2 EE's and a sassy lavender araucauna.

I'm only allowed 10 chickens permanently,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yeah that's probably not going to happen..................I mean if I get dutch bantams they classify as """"""small bird"""" right?! They are small.............and birdssssssssssssss......................

Mine are all breeders but I WILL NOT cull any of my birds so their all like pets in away. My Cornish Cross is more of a pet. She does breed but she is just a big goofy ball. All my chickens are bantams, but my NN, Jerry, Cornish cross hen, and her babies.
just curious, how do you so i a breeding program with no culling? Aren't you breeding for any specific traits?

Back
Top Bottom