How many rabbits do you consume per year?

For 10-12 wild rabbits that I take during hunting season I let the rabbits soak in ice cold salt water overnight to help draw out excessive blood and it helps take out the excessive gamey taste.

Do farm raised rabbits need to be soaked in salt water over night?

Quote:
I soak any wild game I take the same as you, but usually just soak tame rabbit in the fridge in plain water for a day or two to age the meat. They really aren't gamey, but aging improves the texture and flavor of any meat. I have went straight from the cleaning sing into the skillet though, just depends on the day and how much notice the wife gives me.

Quote:
I soak any wild game I take the same as you, but usually just soak tame rabbit in the fridge in plain water for a day or two to age the meat.

Please, DON"T soak domestic rabbits! The meat can take up extra water - it's one of the things commercial ranchers sometimes do to increase the body weight of rabbits/chicken, to increase their cost(higher body weight, more per pound). Some turkey farmers do it too.

I am lucky to have a fridge reserved for game and farm raised food only. I age them in a shallow pan and let them chill uncovered for a few days (after washing and patting them dry). This way the circulating air dries the skin, and they cook and taste better. Dry meat takes coatings like buttermilk and flour much better than when wet. Try it
smile.png

Quote:

Where are you at? Maybe someone on here is close enought to supply you with a few.

Yeah... thanks. I found a few folks raising meat rabbits (NZ and CA-cross) locally. I am interested in trying one.

Cheers!

There are very few wild rabbits around here anymore. Several years ago my wife complained about something eating her flowers. I kept an eye out and noticed a rabbit in the yard a few nights in a row, munching the flowers. The complaints continued so one night soon we had a rabbit dinner.

My lovely wife decided she would rather them eat her flowers than her have to eat them! The meal was delicous, imo, she just couldnt' stand the though of eating "bugs bunny".

Quote:
The rabbits are vicious at my house. They eat all the lanscaping & small trees. They girdle the fruit trees, killing them. I take down about around 12 per year just on my 2.5 acres. Lazy hunting I guess but they sure taste good.

I don't raise rabbits now, but have in the past. Unfortunately, I didn't learn how wonderful rabbit tasted until I was getting out of the rabbit business! I previously sold them as pets, feeders & show.
I am looking forward to getting back into rabbits soon, but this time it will be strictly for food and plan on eating rabbit at least once a week...Yummy!

Back
Top Bottom