How many roos should I get?

Kansas Gal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Hutchinson, Kansas
I am beginning the process of deciding on new chicks to order. I want to have some purebred roos I can mate with purebred hens (will segregate them in their own coop while collecting hatching eggs to keep the breed pure). However, the rest of the time, these chickens will all be together in a large coop and allowed out during the day to free range in a 100' x 200' area. I plan on getting about 50 new pullets, and thought of getting 3 purebred cockerels. How many roos can I have in the same pen without causing problems? I know most likely, they will spar from time to time, but I don't want a blood bath! I have about 30 laying hens right now, but got rid of my last roo two years ago, as he was people aggressive. Thoughts, please! Thanks much!

you should have about 10 hens per roo. If thy grow up together you might be able to get by with 2 roos per breeding pen, or maybe even more in a large area, but once you take them out of the flock for breeding, you may not be able to put them back into the main flock.

Can you tell me why they could not go back in with the flock? Would they be too aggressive? All the roos would be raised together from day one. I know I got the idea from reading how others had done it, but didn't know of potential problems by putting them back in the flock after a few days. Appreciate your experience and input. I may have to rethink this thing!

I don't have any roos because they can be so agrresive!!
somad.gif
But I actully have neighbor that has had two roos and they were like teddy bears!! But I also read and artical here on BYC and the roo protected the hens from a hawk!!
yippiechickie.gif

This is a tough situation. Even three roosters with 30 hens can be problematic if you will be putting them into breeding pens and then re-integrating them back into the flock. It is best for them to grow up together (but doesn't mean they won't fight) as adult roosters rarely get along. Make sure you have a watering station and feeder for each rooster. If I was planning a significant breeding season I would have a bachelor pad for all the roosters ( out of sight from the ladies) and one rooster for the flock.

Can you tell me why they could not go back in with the flock? Would they be too aggressive? All the roos would be raised together from day one. I know I got the idea from reading how others had done it, but didn't know of potential problems by putting them back in the flock after a few days. Appreciate your experience and input. I may have to rethink this thing!
Every time you add or subtract a roo from the flock, the pack has to decide who will be ALPHA, all over again! Sometimes a Roo will become aggressive due to the continuous squabbling between the roos for dominance in the flock. Every time a different roo becomes leader of the pack, so to speak, it upsets the harmony of the whole flock. If you want to free range breeds together, the more numerous the roos, the more kayous and confusion among the ranks for dominance. The more breeds you put together, the more you will be adding and subtracting roos. Just my thoughts, for your consideration.

Back
Top Bottom