How many roost per chicken

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cravenchicken, Oct 7, 2008.

1. cravenchicken

cravenchicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    I am in the middle of building a coop.The coop is 4X4 the run is 6X4.I plan on getting 3-4 chickens.The plans i have for the coop only have 2 roost spots.It is a box that comes off the one side. Should I have one roost per chicken or is 2 enough ?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I believe a standard size chicken should have about 12 inches of space to roost comfortably. If your roost is 24 inches long, then 2 chickens can sit on it, 48 inches would hold 4 chickens. Does that help?

Jody

3. cravenchicken

Oct 7, 2008
    That helps as far as size for the roost but I guess what I need to know is if I have 4 chickens do I need 4 roosts or will they share??

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They share. 12 inches per standard size chicken.... but they'll also fight for the highest roost.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yup, they will share and Mahonri is right on in saying if you give 2 roosts and 1 is higher, they will all fight to get on that high one. That may mean, knocking others off to get the best spot.

Jody

6. cravenchicken

Oct 7, 2008
    Thank you so much that is what I needed to know Amazing how this backyard chickens works this is a great site I would have never thought so many people would be crazy about chickens
    Mamie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by