How many roosters are a good number to have? First timer here.

Pick 1 male for your breeding goals.
If you want to breed both std's and silkies, they'll need to be separated anyway,
so best to keep them as separate flocks with 1 male per flock.

Yes, it's one of the hardest things about keeping chickens.
If you are going to be hatching, you'll have to come to terms with it in a way you can get comfortable with.

PSA FYI:
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.
Thank you so much. After reading quite a bit more this weekend of things the same nature of your response, we have about decided a separate coop for the bantams would be best and then rehome one barred rock roo to my brother-in-law or one of our other places/options. I do appreciate all of the help and encouragement! Makes me feel so much more confident about what I am doing. I thank you! 💗

I think a lot depends on your roo's personality and how much space you have.

I have 2 roos to 15 hens. No issues at all. BUT, I have lots of space and the boys were raised together and know who is boss.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom