How many roosters are too many?

I have 4 roosters with 46 hens. 1 of the roosters is overly aggressive so he will be move to another flock. A friend wants him. They All roost together in one extra large coop and share a 40x35 ft run. The broodies raise their babies with the flock from day 1. I will get rid of all new males. None of my roos are over 1 yr. When they get older I will keep a young cockerel to replace them. My flock is great together
Everyone of them look out for each other.

True. I have several coops and pens. Part of the year some are bachelor coops and pens and other times of the year breeding coops and pens. When they are old enough and before they start picking on the females I move the males to the bachelor pens and coops. Sometimes one male may emerge as an alpha and if he get too aggressive with the other males I will remove him.

If you have a large set up, large coop, large free range space as in over an acre, that is an entirely different situation than a small flock in a small coop/ run, with just a back yard.
I'm on a 20 acre lot. They seem to wander all over. The little guys are barely worth butchering....Pic shows their Current size.
THANK YOU all for your opinions. Seriously considering Not taking him until I read your Posts.

Attachments

• IMG_5513.jpg
    IMG_5513.jpg
    670.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
True. I have several coops and pens. Part of the year some are bachelor coops and pens and other times of the year breeding coops and pens. When they are old enough and before they start picking on the females I move the males to the bachelor pens and coops. Sometimes one male may emerge as an alpha and if he get too aggressive with the other males I will remove him.
2014-05-28 17.09.31.jpg 2014-10-07 11.26.20.jpg 2014-11-11 09.59.28.jpg

I'm going to pass on the add'l Rooster. Have other critter things going on now, don't wish to add to the work load... :oops:
*******Thank you, Everyone, for your Experience & Feedback!!!*******
:wee :celebrate:yesss:

Back
Top Bottom