How many roosters are too many?

It's tough to get rid of your roosters, but you have too many per hens and somebody's gotta go. Especially since they are already fighting.
Pick the one you like best and throw out an ad on Craigslist for the rest. Or send em to freezer camp if you'd prefer to benefit that way.

OH! And
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Here is another recent thread on this topic. You can see my response and others there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7753870#p7753870

Are you guaranteed problems? No. But are the odds real real high you will have problems? Yes. I suggest you keep as few roosters with the hens as your goals allow.

You can give the extras away, where they will probably be eaten. You can eat them yourself. You can have a bachelor pen, where no females are allowed. Or you can try it and see what happens, but have a "Plan B" handy where you can go to it prettty quickly.

Roosters fight. It is not always a big deal. It is when they start injuring or killing each other that it becomes big deal. Many of us keep multiple roosters and they occasionally fight. Most of the time, they don't injure or kill each other. They eventually settle who is boss and form a good team protecting the girls. But sometimes injury and death occur. I can't tell you what will happen in your circumstances. But I still recommend keeping as few roosters with the hens as your goals allow.

we had a rooster you shod ceep 1 a coop and 1 in a diffident coop
eat the others
or ceep all seperet

Last edited:
Thanks for all your advice, i knew I was gonna have to get rid of a few, I'm gonna try and keep 2 maybe 3 but have a separate pen for them. I sure am glad I found you guys, wish you were my neighbors. Thanks again, Jim

Back
Top Bottom