How many roosters can I get away with?

I agree with 3 more hens and 3 roos...I personally have a screwed up hen/rooster ratio myself which will have to be taken care of this week.I have 28 hens and 6 roos....and my poor hens are feeling it because 3 of the younger roos are trying to mate CONSTANTLY! I now have 3 hens with worn off feathers and one of which I had to just put Blu-Kote on to heal a gash by a roosters toenail! I am learning the hard way that there is a limit on roos for a reason!So.....time for chicken soup x 3 this week
sad.png

You have plenty of space to keep that many birds. Instead of putting in roosters, put in some maybe only one rooster and a couple more hens. We have about 16 hens and we have 3 roosters and that is even too many roosters. One of the roosters is just a baby, he is just getting mature (it's chop chop time for him, even though he is so pretty!). We hatched a bunch of eggs, turns out lots were roosters. Our egg production was way down. When we went and got rid of most of the roosters our egg production hit the roof. We get almost a dozen a day, and that was though the winter! Too many roosters will stress your hens out. Keep that in mind when you plan your little flock out to keep them happy!

Back
Top Bottom