How many roosters did you cull before getting a good one?

Pics
I have a hen only flock but the young hens won't leave the roosters and stay with them
I’ve found that the younger flocks within older flocks will kinda form their own “click” and I’m sure their young hormones have something to do with them preferring to be around the Roos; They also just naturally know that Roos mean protection.

I raised my pullets in one end of the divided run then free ranged all the chickens together last summer and fall.This winter I reversed everything. I put the new pullets and cockerels in the larger portion of the divided run with the hens who mated them and separated the hold-outs in the small end for the winter

I raised my pullets in one end of the divided run then free ranged all the chickens together last summer and fall.This winter I reversed everything. I put the new pullets and cockerels in the larger portion of the divided run with the hens who mated them and separated the hold-outs in the small end for the winter
A divided Run has SO many benefits and possibilities!! I wouldn’t have it any other way. When I first started out, I ended up having to make a “make-shift” Divider Run and it wasn’t the best.
— When I had the chance to redo my whole set-up, by moving; I made dang sure I constructed a divided Run from the very beginning, the proper way! Ha! :)

I’ve used it in many wonderful ways, just like you’ve mentioned above as well as a Separated area for (2) broody Mamas and ALL of their brand new Chicks 🐣 (8 in total!) … That was a Super, Fun time!

I’ll never Brood chicks again myself, unless it’s medically necessary, of course.
— I loved simply being a spectator of their hard work! I noticed the babies achieved milestones much quicker being out with their Mamas than they ever did with me.
— Like, it took me a week of crawling-in and picking-up each chick to go up in their coop at night, using their coop ladder when they were 6-7wks of age.
— My Mamas already taught their itty-bitty Babies to go up their Coop ladder to roost at “4-WKs” of age!… LOL! 😱

~ Johnna ;-)

A divided Run has SO many benefits and possibilities!! I wouldn’t have it any other way. When I first started out, I ended up having to make a “make-shift” Divider Run and it wasn’t the best.
— When I had the chance to redo my whole set-up, by moving; I made dang sure I constructed a divided Run from the very beginning, the proper way! Ha! :)

I’ve used it in many wonderful ways, just like you’ve mentioned above as well as a Separated area for (2) broody Mamas and ALL of their brand new Chicks 🐣 (8 in total!) … That was a Super, Fun time!

I’ll never Brood chicks again myself, unless it’s medically necessary, of course.
— I loved simply being a spectator of their hard work! I noticed the babies achieved milestones much quicker being out with their Mamas than they ever did with me.
— Like, it took me a week of crawling-in and picking-up each chick to go up in their coop at night, using their coop ladder when they were 6-7wks of age.
— My Mamas already taught their itty-bitty Babies to go up their Coop ladder to roost at “4-WKs” of age!… LOL! 😱

~ Johnna ;-)
In my 30's I converted an old barn to a hen house, made a run and called it done! 30 years later I can't do enough to make my chickens happy so I build them a new run lol

Back
Top Bottom