How many roosters did you cull before getting a good one?

Pics

SamCO

Songster
Mar 8, 2022
Northern Colorado
This past spring, we had to call our young rooster, because he started being aggressive with humans. We got some more spring chicks and two ended up being cockerels. one of the Cockerels we didn’t handle at all because I suspected he was a he from very early (he was our single broody hatched chick- mix of salmon faverolles and prairie bluebell) He’s nearly impossible to catch And doesn’t want to be anywhere near humans. He starting to attempt to court the ladies, but is still clumsy and ripping their feathers out. He is, however, only 16 weeks. The other Cockerel we bought as a pullet. So he was handled as we do all of our girls daily from the beginning. He was the most friendly chick out of the batch and is the first to run up and see what you brought him. He is a mottled Java. He’s now 18 weeks and is a beautiful, huge cockerel. He has absolutely no fear of humans. He’s definitely doing a great job keeping a watchful eye, and has started attacking the dog. Then today, I walked up to go past him, and he began to have a standoff with me. He backed off quickly, but I know that’s not a good sign. My youngest child is six, so I absolutely will not have a human aggressive rooster, and I am honestly a little worried about his behavior with the dog. My dog is super friendly with the chickens, and I don’t want that to change because he’s defending himself from a mean rooster. I’m gonna watch him a little longer, but unfortunately, I think he has to go. I’m still hopeful that my younger guy will grow up to be a good one because we have had a very hands off approach with him.

Tell me about your experience with finding a great rooster. I’ve done so much reading, and I now know that we created a monster (twice) by handling them as chicks.

Attachments

• IMG_3730.jpeg
    IMG_3730.jpeg
    947.1 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_3715.jpeg
    IMG_3715.jpeg
    848 KB · Views: 45
I went through four my first round all were aggressive I kept one but got rid of him in march due to extreme aggression. I had to cockerels his son and an EE I did an experiment I didn’t handle one and handled the other. The handled one was mean. My EE I didn’t handle and he is the best behaved boy. He is 17 weeks tomorrow and has yet to crow (thank god). He hasn’t tried with the girls yet but he’s very sweet and attentive to his girls. He is going to be a wonderful rooster.

Thru the yrs with chickens we only had one. It was the mystery chick in a Barred Rock order. It was a Buff Cochin and I introduced him to a load of #6 bird shot. Didn't feel a bit bad about it.

My first batch of 20 chicks had five roosters in it. Three peaceful American Gamefowl, an aggressive Rhode Island Red, and a Red Junglefowl that attacked my son and died about 5 seconds later

Most roosters are gentle, noble souls in my experience if treated with respect

It is luck of the draw. I am not a big believer in training, or it is how you act. I have had good ones and rotten ones.

The secret to a getting a good rooster, is a sharp knife. You get rid of the rotten ones, and eventually are left with a good one. The Java would be on the list to go for me. Keep your fingers crossed on the one you cannot catch. He is giving you space and respect, a hopeful sign... but I am firmly convinced, it is the luck of the draw.

I do think older hens help. Mrs. Feathers is currently schooling two cockerels, I heard one crow today. They crowed when they got here, last week. She did some lessons in etiquette and they hasn't crowed til this morning.

If you want a nice rooster - ask around, often times people will have a very nice rooster, so nice he has not been culled yet.

Mrs K

I've been incredibly lucky and haven't had a human aggressive one yet. The only bad one I had was Doug. A friend gave me Doug as a 6 month old cockerel. Doug was worthless. I heard the chickens screaming their heads off once and ran out to find a large red tail making passes as they scattered and huddled under cover. Where was Doug? Stretched out asleep under the carport next to the feed storage bins. When I passed out food, Doug ran in from behind and snatched treats from the hens and a dead run and kept going. The only thing he didn't do was harass the hens because the stomped his butt on the reg. When Doug finally got eaten by the aforementioned red tail, I was not that upset.

I've been incredibly lucky and haven't had a human aggressive one yet. The only bad one I had was Doug. A friend gave me Doug as a 6 month old cockerel. Doug was worthless. I heard the chickens screaming their heads off once and ran out to find a large red tail making passes as they scattered and huddled under cover. Where was Doug? Stretched out asleep under the carport next to the feed storage bins. When I passed out food, Doug ran in from behind and snatched treats from the hens and a dead run and kept going. The only thing he didn't do was harass the hens because the stomped his butt on the reg. When Doug finally got eaten by the aforementioned red tail, I was not that upset.
When my old roo saw the red tail he flew out of the yard.

How many roosters did you cull before getting a good one?​

None. Over 50 males so far. Different breeds. Different temperaments. Different keeping conditions. I've been flogged, spured and had some real hardcases. I've always managed to come to an arrangement so everyone lives.
I only kill to eat, or on those rare occasions when I have a rogue rooster who is abusing the hens.

Thank you all! Sounds like everyone has a little different experience. My Java bit me today when I was sitting down visiting with the flock, and he circled back around behind me. I put my hand out to block him from getting behind me and he bit my hand. Don’t have to time to get him processed this weekend, but will probably do it before to long. Such a shame as he’s so beautiful. If I didn’t have kids (and other peoples kids) around, I would maybe try to see how it goes, but when my chicken loving daughter is too scared to be out around her chickens because he’s there, I can’t keep him. We will eat him, so his life is not wasted, and is a heck of a lot better than the chickens whose meat we buy from the store.

Back
Top Bottom