How to convince husband to keep roosters

Hi — what can I say to convince my husband that having a rooster in the flock isn’t a big deal when gathering eggs for consumption? He says he doesn’t want to eat eggs that have been fertilized — but there’s no difference between a non fertilized and fetitlized egg if it isn’t incubated correctly nothing will develop. We together got 4 chicks on impulse. They are straight run chicks we were both aware of this at the time so 50 50 that they’ll be hen or roo. No sooner than we get them situated he says we aren’t keeping any roosters don’t get attached… I’m raising them by hand and dedicating a lot of time and money and love to their upcoming and introductions to our small flock. I do not want to get rid of any of them regardless of sex and going to put a lot of effort not flock dynamics to ensure a well balanced flock. I know roosters aren’t necessary for hens or eggs but if we do get one (or multiple 😬 that will be a different post for a different day) - How can I convince my husband it’s okay to keep him with the flock? We don’t intend on hatching chicks. Eggs are for consumption by us and shared with family. The excuse he’s given me is he doesn’t want to eat semen in a fertilized egg. Is there any difference between fertilized and non eggs?
https://the-chicken-chick.com/facts-and-myths-about-fertile-eggs/

Good article to show your hubby. Only way to convince him is to show him facts.
Also, as others have stated, one rooster with 3 hens is not enough hens. Or you could get more roosters than that. That would be very bad for your remaining one or two girls.

Would 1 roo to 8 hens be a good ratio?
There are no magic numbers.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Hi — what can I say to convince my husband that having a rooster in the flock isn’t a big deal when gathering eggs for consumption? He says he doesn’t want to eat eggs that have been fertilized — but there’s no difference between a non fertilized and fetitlized egg if it isn’t incubated correctly nothing will develop. We together got 4 chicks on impulse. They are straight run chicks we were both aware of this at the time so 50 50 that they’ll be hen or roo. No sooner than we get them situated he says we aren’t keeping any roosters don’t get attached… I’m raising them by hand and dedicating a lot of time and money and love to their upcoming and introductions to our small flock. I do not want to get rid of any of them regardless of sex and going to put a lot of effort not flock dynamics to ensure a well balanced flock. I know roosters aren’t necessary for hens or eggs but if we do get one (or multiple 😬 that will be a different post for a different day) - How can I convince my husband it’s okay to keep him with the flock? We don’t intend on hatching chicks. Eggs are for consumption by us and shared with family. The excuse he’s given me is he doesn’t want to eat semen in a fertilized egg. Is there any difference between fertilized and non eggs?
If you do end up with a roo you might also want to see what personality type he has. Some roosters are real nice. Others are not, I know from experience. You can raise them from birth, give them treats be nice spend time with them. But of they have a protective personality type. They will try to attack you and everyone else regardless. And not to mention be more ruff and hurt your hens.

There are no magic numbers.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Yes, just want to jump in to say... I have one rooster in with two hens, and they're best friends, and another rooster in with three hens, and they do okay (I do have a total of nine hens, but in the coop, that's the way they're separated). It all depends on the rooster.

Indeed. You see picture perfect stories of roosters that get along with everyone and are gorgeous boys but I know there are some that are just nasty abusive and mean — to handlers and hens. Time can only tell and hoping for the best.

Provided temperament and coop dynamics are balanced there is no reason to not gather and eat eggs from a coop with a rooster.

I know a rooster isn’t necessary but what are some benifits to having one? (A good one that takes care of his girls)
- More chicks and fertilized eggs —well yeah
- Predator alert, self sacrific if a predator attacks
- Increased egg production?

Indeed. You see picture perfect stories of roosters that get along with everyone and are gorgeous boys but I know there are some that are just nasty abusive and mean — to handlers and hens. Time can only tell and hoping for the best.

Provided temperament and coop dynamics are balanced there is no reason to not gather and eat eggs from a coop with a rooster.

I know a rooster isn’t necessary but what are some benifits to having one? (A good one that takes care of his girls)
- More chicks and fertilized eggs —well yeah
- Predator alert, self sacrific if a predator attacks
- Increased egg production?
IME/IMO the only reason to have a male in the flock is to get fertile eggs for hatching.
If you only want chickens for eggs, get rid of the males.
The behavior of a male can also have a lot to do with the behavior of the keepers.

Also, as others have stated, one rooster with 3 hens is not enough hens.
I've pretty much always kept a 1:3 ratio.
I've got a 2:3 ratio now.
P3190436.JPG

Back
Top Bottom