How many roosters did you cull before getting a good one?

just wanted to update-

We ended up culling the mottled Java cockerel. Was really hard on me, but it was the right choice. So far the other guy is showing all the signs of being a good rooster. He calls the girls, lets them eat treats, dances and seems to watch for predators. He still runs away from all people, and ignores the dogs and cats. Im feeling pretty optimistic. Such different behavior between a cockerel raised by a hen, and one raised my humans.

Attachments

• IMG_4391.jpeg
    IMG_4391.jpeg
    782.9 KB · Views: 3
All of my first three roosters (from a group of straight run bantams) were handled a lot. One was super skittish, one was polite and easy to handle, and one was aggressive to people. I didn’t cull any of them.
I had 4 brothers that were all very friendly when small. Very friendly. They were all handled. All four turned out to be completely different from each other once they had grown up.
One I could handle any time. He came up to me and I could pet him or pick him up.
Second would try to walk away when I put my hand(s) out, but I could still catch him and pick him up without a fuss.
Third kept his distance and would run away when I got too close.
Four begin to attack me.
Now there are three left alive. I am sure you can guess which one was dispatched early.

I had 4 brothers that were all very friendly when small. Very friendly. They were all handled. All four turned out to be completely different from each other once they had grown up.
One I could handle any time. He came up to me and I could pet him or pick him up.
Second would try to walk away when I put my hand(s) out, but I could still catch him and pick him up without a fuss.
Third kept his distance and would run away when I got too close.
Four begin to attack me.
Now there are three left alive. I am sure you can guess which one was dispatched early.
Out of curiosity, where might the dearly departed have landed in the pecking order of them?

Out of curiosity, where might the dearly departed have landed in the pecking order of them?
I am not sure. He lived in a bachelor colony of about 10.
The most friendly one got moved to be with my few girls.
For a period of some months, the roosters were all mean to each other. Reminded me of behavior I see from young human males. One smacking another in the back of the head as the unsuspecting victim walks by.

My first batch of 20 chicks had five roosters in it. Three peaceful American Gamefowl, an aggressive Rhode Island Red, and a Red Junglefowl that attacked my son and died about 5 seconds later

Most roosters are gentle, noble souls in my experience if treated with respect
My cockerels still roost side by side and share 16 hens with little squabbling . I look for that to change since they both have feathers missing on their necks in the same spot. I've also noticed when Ridgerunner mates the hens Chase will run over and peck the hen in the head until he's finished mating her. They've never been aggressive with me and will be a year old next month

My cockerels still roost side by side and share 16 hens with little squabbling . I look for that to change since they both have feathers missing on their necks in the same spot. I've also noticed when Ridgerunner mates the hens Chase will run over and peck the hen in the head until he's finished mating her. They've never been aggressive with me and will be a year old next month
It sounds like they have a good “Alpha/Beta” Roo relationship going on!! ♥️🐓

The hen-pecking during mating is likely nothing other than him thinking he’s helping out. — Hopefully that doesn’t become escalated as it could hurt the hens. I’d definitely monitor that and see if you can discourage that behavior somehow

The hen-pecking during mating is likely nothing other than him thinking he’s helping out. — Hopefully that doesn’t become escalated as it could hurt the hens. I’d definitely monitor that and see if you can discourage that behavior somehow
Chase appears to be assisting Ridgerunner but he's not doing the same for Chase :hmm

I have a hen only flock but the young hens won't leave the roosters and stay with them

Back
Top Bottom