How many roosters for 14 hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickens in Elmwood, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Chickens in Elmwood

Chickens in Elmwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Elmwood, WV
    We are currently without a rooster because of our roos nasty behavior toward our kids. We have 10 pullets now and are hopefully adding 4 more (successfully [​IMG] ) in a few weeks. That will give us 14 girls. Is one roo enough or should we have a try with 2?

2. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    One is fine. I have 12 mature girls and 3-7 more young ladies coming up. One main roo. Extra roos get sold for the cooking pot.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    If you are breeding to hatch or sell, you may want at least two roos, but if you just have a hobby/utility flock, one roo should be enough. If you do get two roos though, you need to get two that have been raised together so they won't fight.

4. packinaglock

packinaglock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I always try to go by the 1 per 10 rule

5. Tonopah Pati

Tonopah Pati Rest in Peace 1938-2011

Mar 24, 2009
    Tonopah, Arizona
    [​IMG]:jumpyI have 2 for 5 Hens. They are father and son they were raised together. Son picks on dad all the time, now that he is a big boy. I am looking into getting at least 2 -4 more girls as soon as I find what I want, color and all that.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Depends on the rooster. I have one rooster with 30 women at the moment because he won't share. [​IMG] That is way too much for optimum fertility, though. I had two but Dutch refused to allow his younger brother any peace. One to 10-12 is all you really should have.

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I had one roo with 13 hens and still had many bare backs and VERY fertile eggs. I think one would be just fine and better for your girls too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by