1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many roosters I need ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kandooshe, Feb 12, 2011.

1. kandooshe

kandooshe Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 23 chickens (all of them are 1 years old), how many roosters I need to them ,( if I need roosters to make fertilized eggs) ??

I have 3 roosters , is that enough or I need to cull ?

thanx

2. LC orps

LC orps Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2009
    Mcleansville, NC
    that should be good i have orpingtons and usually it's said one rooster can handle 8 hens in there yonger years.......... [​IMG]

3. kandooshe

Another ideas ...

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I have to agree with LC orps. I think you are fine with three roosters. Just keep an eye out for excessive feather loss on the girls. If they are not being over bred and the roosters get along, you should be fine.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well I'd probably go with two roosters myself, for that many hens. But it kind of depends on how your roosters get along. If the three you have get along well, then by all means keep all three. But if not, then I'd think two healthy roosters that the hens like should be plenty enough.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I have mostly read 10 hens. I agree, though, you're fine. But you'd probably have mostly or all fertile eggs with two roos, too. At least from my limited experience.

7. kandooshe

thanks all very much ,,,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by