How many roosters?

Gray Ghost

Songster
9 Years
Feb 13, 2010
I have 34 hens. I got four packing peanuts 10 weeks ago which are turning into RIR roosters. I wasn't going to keep any roosters but now that I have them I figure what they heck I will give roosters a try and maybe I will end up with some free baby chicks down the road. So how many of my roosters should I keep, assuming I stay at approximately 34 hens?

Thanks in advance.

RIR roosters can be very, very beautiful. My husband was talking about one we met ONCE for weeks on end, the long dark tail, the gorgeous chestnut feathers, how tall and proud, the deep barritone crowing, it goes on and on.......

Two roosters would probably guarantee that most of your eggs would be fertile; however, don't get rid of any of them too quickly. Let them mature and assess their temperments. If any become human aggressive, cull them. If any become abusive to the hens (not breeding), but abusive, cull them. If you get one or two good flock roosters, consider yourself lucky.

I try to have 8-10 hens to one rooster, I would get rid of one or maybe two rooster if I was you. But I shouldn't talk because of raccoon attacks I have 5 roosters and 11 hens
roll.png

Last edited:
There are a whole lot of myths about what will happen if you keep one or more roosters. They are living animals and many things can happen, but many people keep multiple roosters without disasters occurring every day. Normally if they grow up together they can work out their differences and get along peacefully, but not always. My normal advice is to keep as few roosters as you can and still meet your goals.

A full sized rooster can normally keep 10 to 12 hens fertile. With your 34 hens, that means you should keep three roosters.

Ive noticed that when my chickens were loose... One rooster would normally controll 5 or 6 hens... by there choice...

Now that Ive separated them into breeds...

My loose Rooster, WHITE Araucana, has 6 hens.
My loose Sultan rooster, has no hens.
In a Pen:
My Araucana Red rooster has 6 Hens,
My Crevecoeurs rooster has 6 Hens,
My frizzle Cochin has 4 Turken Hens,
My 2 Cochin Roosters have 6 hens total

Back
Top Bottom