1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Many Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tommy Kelly, May 20, 2011.

1. Tommy Kelly

Tommy Kelly New Egg

Apr 5, 2011
    I have a small flock. I have 25 Rhode Island Red hens and 1 rooster. How many roosters do I need to have to take care of the 25 hens. I messed up on my initial order and got the hens right but when I went to order the random picks for my roosters. I somehow went to buff orphington chickens instead of staying rir's. I found a rooster about the same age as ny hens at a flea market that is a rir rooster but the guy only had 1. I bought it and have given the buff's away to a friend that has chickens. I want to have a purebreed stock of chickens. I bought what I thought I could handle at the start and don't have room for 10 more chickens which is about the minimum you can order and have shipped. My chickens are about 2 months old now and are doing great so I'll have to pick up roosters where I can find them close to my size to go with my chickens.

2. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    One or two- but be aware- the 2 may fight!

3. jarvis

jarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    potosi
    my pet chickens minimum is three if that helps ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by