How many Roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BlackAce, Jul 27, 2013.

1. BlackAce

BlackAce Chirping

Jun 7, 2013
    I want to raise some chicken and ducks. I recently did my first batch of incubating eggs and out of 13 I had 2 hatch. I ordered Rhode Island Reds because of their egg production and got them from eBay. I just found out that I had two roosters out of the two that hatched. I would like to have about 6 - 8 chickens and about 2 - 4 ducks. How many roosters should I have for my little flock. The chickens and ducks are both for personal consumption for both eggs and meat. For the ducks I would like to have two females and two males.

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Crowing

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    One Roo would be enough for 6 to 7 hens

3. BlackAce

BlackAce Chirping

Jun 7, 2013
    How do I know which roo to keep out of the two?

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Free Ranging Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Pick the one you like best. For me, it would be the one who is not human aggressive. If they both had good, calm temperaments, then I'd look at color, the breed if that's important to you, and listen to their crow. Some are much more pleasant than others. I'd watch to see which was the dominant one and keep him if he wasn't human aggressive. Yes, I've mentioned that twice. It's that important to me. I don't want a rooster that I have to be leery of all the time. I want one I can trust to leave me alone. It's really a personal choice that only you can make since you're the one who has to live with the decision you make.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by