How many satin balls do you give each day?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
We're out of ideas for putting weight on Jax, our older GSD. He eats maybe one or two cups of his TOTW a day despite being very active. Vet says he doesn't have any health issues or parasites. He just doesn't have any interest in eating. I don't want a heavy dog, esp. a large breed, but he is too thin.

We have to do something. His baby brother has now passed him in both height and weight.

How many satin balls a day would we give him in addition to offering him his regular feed?

You can mix some cornmeal with some grease from something that you have cooked and feed it to him. Just make about four cups and feed it to him twice a week for a few weeks till you think he is thick enough. I promise it will but weight on him. Plus its good for his coat....

Believe it or not, I put the most weight on my thin sheltie by giving him a couple of scrambled eggs a day in addition to his regular food.

I give mine between 4 and 5 per day. I however still have the same issue, but I have seen an improvement to his excessive shedding. My dog is a st. Bernard / king sheppard mix and well he has no interest in eating either. He is super hyper and he much rather play or chase the rest of the dogs around. He also has no health issues but you can literally feel all his spine bones. It has me worried quite a bit but like the vet said he will eat when he is hungry. we do make him eat though, no dog can resist a couple cups of dry dog food with some beef or chicken broth and several TBSP of wet canned dog food. which is also another trick to putting weight on the dog but again for the life of me I can't figure out why he just won't gain it. Anyhow I was thinking of increasing to a few more satin balls but split between daytime and nighttime and then the same with the other food, once in the am and once in the pm. I like to feed him more before bedtime because that way he will just digest it without burning it too fast.

well, i looked it up and it looks basically like uncooked meat loaf!
lol.png

Quote:
Jax doesn't like egg at all. About the only people food he really likes is beef, cheese and chicken. We occasionally treat the boys with chicken leg quarters. They only get cheese when there's a need for them to take a pill. Beef is a splurge.

Quote:
Both of our dogs have the typical GSD sensitive tummy, though Kane more than Jax. Jax outgrew his for the most part. That's why we finally had to switch to the taste of the wild food, since Kane can't have grains.
I know Jax can tolerate all the ingredients in the satin balls, so was wanting to give them a try.

Have you ever tried mixing A/D in with his dry food? It's a high calorie canned food for convalescing dogs, very palatable, and often encourages picky eaters.

I feed one since my dog gets other stuff every day. She'll eat about a cup of kibble or one can of food before she refuses to eat anymore of it for that day. Then they get raw bones to chew on most days and both quail and chicken carcasses. Feeding them alone you'd probably want to give around 3.

Back
Top Bottom