How many should I keep?

B. Kossum

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
I've got 8 brown coturnix (2 roosters) and 10 A&M's of unknown sex (will know a week or so hopefully). They are in a 15 square foot cage rabbit hutch and that is probably where they will stay for good. I'm really just using them for eggs now until I get an incubator. I want to keep some roosters for that time. I'll probably just let them interbreed until I get more serious about it. Should I keep my hen/cock ratio normal for now (3-4 to 1) or maybe cut back to just a couple and then breed to get more? I realize with the small number of birds I have now I will have to get more outside blood, but I don't want to cut down so small that I can't breed you know. Heck, I don't know lol? I guess what I'm asking is if you guys had 18 birds (2 known cocks) in 15 square feet and you wanted to breed later on, what would you do? I know the cage is a little small, but I keep it clean and I have a small cage that a few of them can get out on the ground in so they are alright.

Hope someone can make some sense of all this lol.

I would eat the white roos. If you have a 50\\50 hen-roo ratio, you would have 11 hens and the roos you have can handle that with ease. If its white and crows, its dinner.... keep all the rest. Bill

Why the white roos? To be honest I like the brown ones better anyways, so it wouldn't be a problem lol. Is there a genetic reason to get rid of the white roos? Just wondering if it had something to do with breeding or what.

Thanks for the advice.

Not the white roos that are a problem, You'll just too many if half the new birds are roos. The old roos are established in you existing flock. Some need to culled, eat the new roos.... Well, I would tag them as they crowed till I knew for sure how many I had. Then eat any I considered extra, and end up with the perfect hen\
oo ratio. BTW, I would say 6 or 7 hens to each roo myself. Bill

Last edited:
COMON Y'ALL THIS IS A FAMILY FORUM... LETS NOT BE RACIST HERE--- EAT 1 OF EACH!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom