How many silkie roos are too many

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OEHomestead, Aug 10, 2016.

1. OEHomestead

OEHomestead New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    We have 3 month old silkies (for sure 2 roos one crows and the other has quite a large comb) grand total of 7 silkies in our flock of 11. also have 3 large birds and 1 polish we think these 4 are pullets.

How many silkie roos can we have? All are gentle birds and they dont fight yet. What if more are roos?

Also, as far as eggs, how do we keep them getting fertilized and are they still edible. This is really bothering my 13 yr old. We do not want any chicks yet.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Silkies for the most part are fairly mellow, and two roosters may coexist given enough space. If their mating becomes too much for the hens, it may be necessary to rehome one of them. If more are roosters, especially the larger birds, I would recommend culling them. Eggs will not develop unless incubated. Gather them daily and they will be fine to eat.

3. OEHomestead

OEHomestead New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    I am very certain the 3 mixed are pullets and the polish too. Mine are free range all day until winter. They will have a decent coop and a decent run. Hopefully that is enough space and we only have the two roos.

thx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by