How many snacks permissible for 1 1/2 week olds?

luv2greys

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
Been reading a lot about healthy snacks and treats on here, and I tried the mashed boiled egg and my 27 babies went wild! I also very finely chopped up some spinach and gave that to them. I did one egg and the spinach yesterday and was wondering if it was OK to give them an egg each day? And finely chopped up greens? Or should I really keep that to a minimum and only give the starter crumbles to them at this age? Trying to get them used to me by bribery LOL! It was hilarious watching them--especially my buff turken. Rather than get her own piece of green she chased others that had some in their beak.......

what did I do

Songster
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Montana
If you are feeding other things besides chick food you need to feed grit.

I about freeked the first time I saw my kids feeding day old chicks grasshoppers but it never hurt them. I think, "Feed away."

luv2greys

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
Yep, I have chick grit in the brooder with them. They seem to love the treats. There was a fly buzzing around in the tack room where the brooder is and flew down near the chicks and one of them almost got it.....

Noobchick

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Creedmoor, NC
I think as long as they are getting most of their nutrition from the chick feed for now, that treats are fine. :) Just gave finely chopped lettuce to my week olds-- they've been scratching up and trying to eat the paper towels. I figure if they're old enough to try to digest paper towels, they're definitely old enough for greens. (Chick grit will be supplied of course.)

I also figure that day old chicks raised by mama hens would be eating bugs and greens by now anyway. One egg and some greens for 27 chicks sounds fine. :D

luv2greys

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
When I gave the mashed up egg earlier today I put some in my hand and laid it on the floor of the brooder. Some of the braver ones came and ate it right off me. A good start to getting them used to me!

Top Bottom