How many square feet per bird in an indoor coop?

Mickey Lou 04

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 14, 2013
I am wanting to raise some more show birds and so I am wanting to have them indoors so how many sq feet per bird? I assume it would be the same ratio as an outdoor run. But then again I can't remember how big that is either.
smile.png
Hehe I am trying to have it all planned out before I remodel.

Thanks in advance!

I am wanting to raise some more show birds and so I am wanting to have them indoors so how many sq feet per bird? I assume it would be the same ratio as an outdoor run. But then again I can't remember how big that is either.
smile.png
Hehe I am trying to have it all planned out before I remodel.

Thanks in advance!

The general rule of thumb for standard chickens is 4 square feet per chicken with the coop and 10 square feet per chicken with the run. If you are raising bantams, you can reduce that a little.

If you are going to keep them inside all the time, I suppose you should combine the space requirements and say 14 square feet per chicken.

I mean that there would be no outdoor run, they would be indoors. I am thinking probably 5 sq feet per bird.

I mean that there would be no outdoor run, they would be indoors. I am thinking probably 5 sq feet per bird.

Yes, I understood you.

If you are not going to provide an outdoor run, you must provide that space indoors.

If a chicken should normally have 4 square feet in a coop and 10 square feet in a run, why would it be okay to only provide 5 square feet indoors?

I am thinking that having 5 foot per bird till 8-12 weeks when I can tell a little better who are keepers and who isn't. (at least with the obvious defaults) Then choose the best of the best in concordance to coop size.

Sorry I should have elaborated.
smile.png
I am just soooooo tired

I am thinking that having 5 foot per bird till 8-12 weeks when I can tell a little better who are keepers and who isn't. (at least with the obvious defaults) Then choose the best of the best in concordance to coop size.

Sorry I should have elaborated.
smile.png
I am just soooooo tired

Oh, you are talking about basically having a big brooder.

It sounds okay to me if you start thinning them out around 8 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom