How many square feet per bird in an indoor coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mickey Lou 04, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    I am wanting to raise some more show birds and so I am wanting to have them indoors so how many sq feet per bird? I assume it would be the same ratio as an outdoor run. But then again I can't remember how big that is either. [​IMG] Hehe I am trying to have it all planned out before I remodel.

Thanks in advance!

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

The general rule of thumb for standard chickens is 4 square feet per chicken with the coop and 10 square feet per chicken with the run. If you are raising bantams, you can reduce that a little.

If you are going to keep them inside all the time, I suppose you should combine the space requirements and say 14 square feet per chicken.

3. Mickey Lou 04

Jun 14, 2013
    I mean that there would be no outdoor run, they would be indoors. I am thinking probably 5 sq feet per bird.

4. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Yes, I understood you.

If you are not going to provide an outdoor run, you must provide that space indoors.

If a chicken should normally have 4 square feet in a coop and 10 square feet in a run, why would it be okay to only provide 5 square feet indoors?

5. Mickey Lou 04

Jun 14, 2013
    I am thinking that having 5 foot per bird till 8-12 weeks when I can tell a little better who are keepers and who isn't. (at least with the obvious defaults) Then choose the best of the best in concordance to coop size.

Sorry I should have elaborated. [​IMG] I am just soooooo tired

6. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Oh, you are talking about basically having a big brooder.

It sounds okay to me if you start thinning them out around 8 weeks old.

7. Mickey Lou 04

Jun 14, 2013
    Sorry like I said I am SUPER tired,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by